ARCINC-429 with GP175 not use serial port?

cbretana

Am I correct that adding the Garmin GPS175 using an SV-ARCINC-429 communicates with the HDX completely through the Skyview Network and does not use one of the five serial ports?

Rhino

Looks that way.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Am I correct that adding the Garmin GPS175 using an SV-ARCINC-429 communicates with the HDX completely through the Skyview Network and does not use one of the five serial ports?
No. My 175 talks to the ARINC module with two Rx lines, two Tx lines and one serial OUT arinc line (the manual states that's for additional info that ARINC doesn't transmit). The 175 also talks to my G5 through one serial out line and to the transponder for ADS-B out through one serial out line, so I'm using all three of the 175's serial out lines. See page 12-4 of the IM.

Rhino

There may be some misunderstanding here. To my knowledge, the 175 does not communicate directly with an HDX using one of the four serial ports on the HDX displays. But rather, it comunicates with the HDX displays via the ARINC 429 module. However, as Marc noted, the 175 does have separate serial connections for transponders, ELTs, etc. I think you guys are talking about two different things without realizing it, probably related to the use of the word "completely" in the original post. But correct me if I'm wrong.

rjones560

Yes. You have to connect the ARINC 429 outputs from the Garmin 175 to the SV-ARINC-429. From there it plugs into the network and is available on all screens installed.

jessesaint

The ARINC module gets ARINC429 to and from the 175, but it still needs an RS232 output from the 175 to pin 3 on the ARINC module. The 175 would be set to Aviation output on that serial port. It does not connect to one of the HDX serial ports. This same Aviation output would go to most ELT's as well.

cbretana

Yes, I think I got it. I have the Dynon SV-XPNDR-261 Transponder (with ADS-B Out) with SV-GPS-2020 GPS, and the Dynon ADS-B In, so I am not using the RS232 line on the GPS175 that would be used to send GPS Position information to a Transponder. I am only using the GPS175s Navigation data to drive the HDX, for things like Flight plans, and Approaches.

Last edited:

cbretana

Two questions: In Dynon Install manual, pg 12-5, it says to set INPUT 1 to the type of device, (any of GPS 1, GPS 2, ... , NAV1, NAV2, ...). Which should I use for the GPS 175, a GPS, or a NAV? Does it matter?

Secondly, I wonder about the "Allow Auto Switch: Yes (Label 100P) setting - what does it do, and do I need it? If I'm navigating on a GPS 175 Flight Plan with an ILS approach at the destination airport, I do want the system to automatically switch the Dynon CDI NAV source to the ILS when it gets there. Is that what this setting is for? The way this reads in the Install manual, where it mentions switching from INPUT 1 to INPUT 2, is confusing me. My ILS is coming from a serial port hooked up to a VAL NAV 2000 using the SL 30 protocol.

Last edited:

rjones560

I am guessing that you are interfacing a Garmin 175 with a HDX 1100 or 800. You will need the Dynon ARINC 429 module. Wire the GPS ARINC 429 outputs from the 175 wire to the Dynon ARINC 429 module, as well as the ARINC 429 outputs for the NAV receiver that you must be using. The 429 module plugs into the network making the navigation data available on all installed screens. The navigation sources will have to be labeled correctly in the setup menu’s. Whatever you label them will show up at about 4 oclock next the electronic HSI. You can cycle through NAV sources by touching the source label.

I tried to get my Garmin GTN 650 to auto switch to the localizer when a ILS was loaded, but I could not figure out how to get it to work. There is likely some setting that I am missing to get it to work.

Last edited:

cbretana

On page 12-5 of Skyview installation manual it says:

For each module, Set INPUT1 to the type of device connected to the SV-ARINC-429’s ARINC-429 RX 1 A and B inputs, any of GPS 1, 2, 3, 4 or NAV 1, 2, 3, 4.
Optionally, you can specify a “friendly” name for each navigation source using the NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME and specifying up to 7 characters. Examples include “430NAV”, and “430GPS”. If a NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME is specified, that will be displayed on the HSI

I assumed from this that there are two settings, an INPUT1 setting that is limited to a preset list of values to choose from, and has to be set to the type of device, (for some functional reason),...
... and a second setting, NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME, which can be set to anything you want (max 7 characters) but is used only to display on the screen..... is this not the case?

Last edited:

Rhino

No, I'm pretty sure that means you can either choose one of the preset names for INPUT 1, or use NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME to create your own custom name. I don't have one handy to confirm that, but I'm fairly sure that's the case. It's the same setting. It's just giving you a choice of using a default name or creating your own. Would have responded sooner, but I was hoping someone who'd actually done this would comment.

rjones560

Rhino is correct. It’s been a while since I installed my 3 HDX screen system with a Garmin GTN650 in my RV10 but I do remember naming the navigation sources so that they would be quick and easy to recognize. Any VOR receiver that is displayed will show up with a green needle instead of the magenta needle you see with GPS navigation, which is the standard for all the jets I flew also.

jakej

No, I'm pretty sure that means you can either choose one of the preset names for INPUT 1, or use NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME to create your own custom name. I don't have one handy to confirm that, but I'm fairly sure that's the case. It's the same setting. It's just giving you a choice of using a default name or creating your own. Would have responded sooner, but I was hoping someone who'd actually done this would comment.
Correct - name it what you want. I usually clearly identify this way for example - Nav is IFD, Gps is IFD & for the Dynon Gps they are SV or HDX. As pointed out the Nav's are green & Gps is magenta so with the 'naming' there is no confusion.
Rhino "but I was hoping someone who'd actually done this would comment" - some of us have other things to do ;)

Speeddog8

Yes, I think I got it. I have the Dynon SV-XPNDR-261 Transponder (with ADS-B Out) with SV-GPS-2020 GPS, and the Dynon ADS-B In, so I am not using the RS232 line on the GPS175 that would be used to send GPS Position information to a Transponder. I am only using the GPS175s Navigation data to drive the HDX, for things like Flight plans, and Approaches.
Question: Do you have your GPS175 wired to the ARINC 429 as shown below? If so, does your GPS175 display ADSB traffic and/or weather on its display?…………UPDATE: I think I answered my own question. Doesn’t appear that traffic or weather is being sent to my Garmin GPS175 with the attached wiring diagram. Seems that I recall someone saying that Dynon doesn’t send traffic to the 175. Anybody getting weather on their 175?

Attachments

• 3ED058A8-9802-4BA3-A3F9-96D1F810707F.png
    3ED058A8-9802-4BA3-A3F9-96D1F810707F.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 128
  • 677279A4-2D7D-4820-8B74-CBD03EE8E37B.jpeg
    677279A4-2D7D-4820-8B74-CBD03EE8E37B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:

cbretana

I chose not to wire the RS232 port up, since I already have Dynon ADS-B In receiver.

cbretana

Excuse me, I meant to say - the HDX/with Dynon ADS-B receiver can send traffic & weather data to the GPS 175 , but it already sends it to the HDX, so I don't need it to also be sent to the GPS 175.

Last edited:

rjones560

I agree. I have a Dynon 3 screen EFIS in my RV10 with a Garmin GTN 650 for a VOR receiver, primarily used for an ILS, an IFR GPS and a backup com. The GTN 650 is capable of presenting an amazing amount of infirmation, but the screen is too small for any of it to be useful.

Rhino

As of 2011, Dynon enabled output of serial TIS data to allow use of non-Dynon ADS-B Out devices. I can't help but wonder if that could conceivably export traffic to another device.