assembling D-sub connectors

FreddytheK

I love flying!
I'm in the midst of attempting to assemble the 25 pin D-sub connector which comes w/ the Dynon Intercom...first time I've attempted to do so. I'm finding it a real challenge to fit all the 2 and 3 wire shielded cables, the 22AWG power and ground wires, plus the 22AWG wires from the 37 pin in the opening molded into the 2 halves of the connector housing.

Daisy-chaining all the shields together and soldering to the ground wire seems daunting indeed...What is the maximum length of wire allowable beyond the shielding in order to get the benefit of the shielding?

Is there some magic unknown to me to get this all together? Any advice would be most appreciated,

Fred

ned

I love flying!
I terminated the shielding outside the DSUBs but within the dimension that shrink tube would cover. Also used solder sleeves which are invaluable for this task. See video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRCUAYoSXg

cessnadriver850

I love flying!
If you don't want to use solder sleeves, cut all the shields close to the striped end of the cable. Solder a short piece of wire to the shield and daisy chain them together leaving one to go inside to the connector. Remember to shrink tube the cables. Fold the shield and wire back from the cable end and shrink tube over that so the grounds are facing back from the connector. The last one in the chain should double back under the shrink tube so that it goes to the ground pin in the connector. I do this all the time on my installs. I never trusted those solder sleeves as I was always worried that the heat required to melt into the shield would also melt the signal wiring. Just me though as I know they are a good product.