Atlitude Encoder

Krud

I'm getting ready to wire the encoder inputs to my GTX327 Transponder,
Can I use the D10 encoder outputs or go with a separate digital encoder box
for the decoder. I'm trying to give the same atlitude outputs to the GPS and
Transpoder all at the same time.

Is this possible?

Will the D10 change the output when I change the Baro. pressure?

Looking for advise.

Glastar Panel

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Do you have a D10 or a D10A?

In a D10, the output is parallel (grey code). This can drive multiple devices as long as "strobe" is not used.

In a D10A, the output is serial. In this case, you can drive multiple devices at the same time as well. Just split the wire from the EFIS and run it to the inputs on the GPS and Xponder. As long as there is only one "transmitter," serial can generally go to about three inputs.

The output will not change when you change the barometer. The EFIS output is a blind encoder, so it always outputs altituide at standard pressure (29.92). This is what transponders expect to see. The altitude is corrected back at the radar facility so that you don't cause a problem if you forget or mis-set your altimiter.

M

Mark Kiedrowski(Guest)

I have a D10 unit, Will the gray code work with a GTX327 and a 300XL unit?
Regards,
Mark

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It will work with the 327. As far as I know, all Mode-C transponders ever made support grey code.

The 300XL lists "grey code" as a supported interface so I believe it will work. It also has an "altitude serializer" which sounds like it might convert grey code to serial, but I could be wrong.

Sure looks like you could parallel the D10 output to both devices and have it work. It's just a lot of wires to run!

M

Mel Jordan(Guest)

I had the same setup in my RV, a D10, Garmin GTX327 and GNC300XL. The D10 talked to the 327 in Gray code and the 327 and 300 talked to each other with Serial. No need to run Gray code to the 300, the 327 will send that info to the 300.

Regards,
Mel Jordan
Tucson

Hiemdahl

We are now installing D-10As and I understand that we will need the Encoder Converter Module to interface with the transponder. Has anyone reported any difficulties interfacing with the Microair Transponder?

We are having difficulties far beyond the normal frustration. The Microair Installation Manual glosses over the interface and I have not been able to find any data on the message protocol the transponder is expecting.

HELP

Ken Henson
Indus Aviation
(817) 903-6871
Dallas Executive Airport
Dallas, TX

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I looked at Microair's site, and I don't see any mention of serial, so I assume they require a parallel input. So yes, you will need our converter.

One you are parallel, there is no "message protocol." All transponders talk parallel the same way. The encoder conveter will come with instructions to set up the EFIS to talk to it, and then you just run the 13 wires to the transponder.

SProwse

I am installing Becker 4401 Transponder.  Will the serial encoder converter module work with this unit?
Steve

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Steve,

Similar to the above, I took a look at Becker's site and don't see any mention of a serial capability. In this case, they likely use the parallel "grey code" output and this would indeed work with our encoder converter module.

jsmall

I am just about to fit a Garmin 330 with my D10A does anyone know which of the 4 serial protocols the D10A should be set to comunicate with the transponder? :-/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Set the 330 to accept "Icarus" and the EFIS-D10A to transmit protocol 4.