Audio Level Issue after upgrading to v16.3.2

TouchTheSky

I love flying!
The settings did not change but the audio output was significantly louder (AOA warning during taxi close to damaging my ears) so I tried lowering the level in settings with no real effect. Do I miss something? My HDX is connected to a FUNKE ATR833 where the EXT level is set to "01" ...

kurtfly

I love flying!
I noticed the audio is louder after this upgrade. I noticed the autopilot audio announcements are louder. But not as loud as you described.
I observed no other issues.

kurt

cbretana

I also noticed definite volume increase in AOA tone.
I have Dynon HDX, standard Dynon intercom, VHF transceiver, and Dynon AOA pitot tube system.
If volume in config settings has no effect, is there some other way to adjust it?

Rhino

If the audio won't adjust at all, that's an issue. If it won't adjust enough to suit your taste, you can, temporarily or permanently, install variable resistors (potentiometers) on pins 13 and 31 (left and right audio) on the D37 connector. That used to be a standard part of the install for a D10/D100 because there was no internal volume adjustment for them like there is on later models.

TouchTheSky

I love flying!
In fact I would be more than happy to install such a potentiometer as the audio level from the Dynon is in any event way to high for my ATR833. Is such potentiometer available as a plug-in adapter so that I don't need to open the D37 connector?

Rhino

I don't believe so. You can check the D10/D100 install docs. I don't have those on hand.

Rhino

Confirmed. It is not available as a plugin. It's an off the shelf 10K ohm variable resistor. They actually give you a Radio Shack part number, which isn't terribly helpful, unless you can use it to cross reference a part.

You can get them individually for a few bucks each,

Or you can get a double pole that does both sides for about $38.

Or, you can use the old homebuilder standby source, eBay.

Bill Putney

I guess I assume that you're connecting the Dynon audio outputs to the "Ext Audio" input to the ATR833. If I'm reading the spec on the ATR833 correctly, it has a maximum input level of 1Vrms (about 2.8Vpeak-to-peak). The Dynon maximum output from a SkyView is 10Vpeak-to-peak. I would think you'd at least want to pad down the output of the Dynon to under 1Vrms. You could do that at either the 37 pin D-sub on the SkyView, at the connector into the ATR833 or in-line (cut the ext. audio wire going to the ATR833 and put the pot in and find a ground wire to bare and tap into.

DigiKey has Bourns (P/N 3299Z-103LF-ND) 25 turn 10K - 1/2W trim pots for $3.50. Probably better than the Radio Shack pot (if you could find a Radio Shack).

Pot-Picture.jpeg
Pot-Schem.jpeg
The "Wiper" (pin 2) goes to the ATR833 ext input, "CCW" (pin 1) goes to the audio ground that comes from the Dynon and "CW" (pin 3) goes to the Dynon audio output. If you have a SkyView that has left and right, you probably have those tied together before it goes to the ATR833. If you have a D10(A) there is only one output. These are linear taper pots so they won't have a nice audio curve but with 25 turns, it should be easy to get what you need.

- Bill

cbretana

If the audio won't adjust at all, that's an issue. If it won't adjust enough to suit your taste, you can, temporarily or permanently, install variable resistors (potentiometers) on pins 13 and 31 (left and right audio) on the D37 connector. That used to be a standard part of the install for a D10/D100 because there was no internal volume adjustment for them like there is on later models.
Went into config settings changed AOA tone volume from 95% to 35% but headset volume did not change. Is this a recognized defect?

Rhino

Not a known defect with the Skyview as far as I know.

rjones560

The settings did not change but the audio output was significantly louder (AOA warning during taxi close to damaging my ears) so I tried lowering the level in settings with no real effect. Do I miss something? My HDX is connected to a FUNKE ATR833 where the EXT level is set to "01" ...
You probably lowered the audio setting for the Dynon alerts to something more desirable didn’t you?

GlennB

I can confirm, on my dual D700 setup, the volume was much higher after the upgrade.

To get it to a sensible level, I had to reduce the master volume to about 4%, and adjust the alert and AoA settings down as well.

I also note that the warnings for low oil and fuel pressure appear much sooner after power-up. It used to wait for a decent period, which allowed a normal start sequence without seeing what amounts to nuisance messages.