Aural "Caution" with no apparent problem

mitch757

After adding a second screen to a Vans RV12 SLSA, I get "caution" warnings in the headsets repeatedly during flight with nothing annunciated. I suspect it is alerting as my speed enters the yellow band although it did not do this with the single Skyview. I would like to choose just what is used to alert me or at least TELL ME what it is alerting about.

Mitch

bobl_51

I love flying!
I had a similar problem in my RV7. Quite often on turn to final, I'd get "Caution" audio but nothing in the message window.
Dump your user data logs and look in the ALERT_DATA.csv file.

In my case, the alert was caused by a poor shared ground on the autopilot disconnect switch, triggered by operating the last bit of flaps against the stop. The alert condition did not last long enough to get the message box to display, and often did not get written into the ALERT_DATA log, but with enough test flights I was able to catch it in the alert log file.

Also, all the possible reasons for the Caution audio alert are listed in the Pilot User Guide, chapter 12.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That particular event - airspeed in the caution range - wouldn't trigger an alert. If you have SkyView 11.0 or later, though, you can export your datalogs to a USB stick and look at the ALERt_DATA.csv to see what's triggering it, and then we can figure out why it's alerting.

llacy

I get a caution light that says network connection fault data 2 pair pins 4&8 doesn't cause any problems but don't know how to correct.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That means that one of your SkyView Network cables has a wiring problem. SkyView Network has redundant data paths. There are two pairs of wires (4 of the 9 wires in the SkyView Network cable) that basically back each other up. You're not noticing any degradation in system performance because SkyView Network knows that one of the two links has an issue, and uses the remaining one. So in particular, it's pins 4&8, as you'd probably guess. Now as to WHERE it is in your wiring: Go to the SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > SKYVIEW NETWORK SETUP > SYSTEM STATUS. From there, every module or display that the system can detect isn't getting the signal will have a fault on it. Note that this doesn't mean that more than one cable has an issue, but you can deduce, based on where you're seeing faults, where the wiring issue is in your particular network layout.

llacy

The caution light I get is associated with the SV200 the AHRS and I checked all the connections in both ends of the serial cable they checked out and the wiring colored wires are correct according to the pin out. It shows the error for pins 4 &8 which are data 2 connectors. Don't know what to do next.
Lou Lacy

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Lou:

I know it's not convenient, but if you can temporarily remove the SV-ADAHRS-200 from where it's installed, or it's installed pretty close to the display (that the test cable can reach), then you can do a quick test to isolate the problem to the SV-ADAHRS-200 or the wiring.

Every SkyView display ships with a SV-NET-TEST cable for troubleshooting like this. It's tucked into the compartment at the bottom of the box.

Again, if you can disconnect the SV-ADAHRS-200, then
1. Disconnect the SV-ADAHRS-200 from the SkyView Network (and, if necessary, the OAT and the pneumatic connections)
2. At the SkyView display (or the SV-NET-HUB), disconnect the SkyView Network cable going to the SV-ADAHRS-200
3. Temporarily connect the SV-ADAHRS-200 to the SkyView display (or the SV-NET-HUB) using the SV-NET-TEST cable.
4. If the 4/8 error doesn't display for the SV-ADAHRS-200 using the SV-NET-TEST cable, but does display with the plane wiring, the problem is in the plane wiring.
5. If the 4/8 error does display for the SV-ADAHRS-200 using the SV-NET-TEST cable, the problem is most likely in the SV-ADAHRS-200.

The caution light I get is associated with the SV200 the AHRS and I checked all the connections in both ends of the serial cable they checked out and the wiring colored wires are correct according to the pin out. It shows the error for pins 4 &8 which are data 2 connectors. Don't know what to do next.
Lou Lacy