Auto-Dimming?

Canadian_JOY

Please accept my apologies in advance of what likely will be a silly question... I was at OSH but had a hard time elbowing my way to the front of the crowd to get "touchy-feely" experience with the two demo units on display there. I was unable to ascertain whether or not the new units will feature built-in photo sensors to allow auto-dimming or whether manual control will remain the only option. From the handout pamphlet I see a "dot" between softkeys 4 & 5. Is that a photosensor?

Also, I'll throw a word in edgewise here about the "LRU" philosophy. Many of us have gone through some acrobatics in order to get our EDC-10A's mounted in a region in the aircraft that provides reasonable magnetic compass accuracy. My assumption is the new "ADHRS" will have to follow the same stringent mounting requirements. Given that this box will also have multiple wires plus pitot and static running into it, my guess is that many folks will have to sacrifice magnetic compass accuracy in order to be able to find a mounting location that makes it reasonably easy to connect power, data, pitot, static etc. Is there a plan afoot to allow for easier mounting while not sacrificing compass accuracy? I know I won't want to have to mount a big LRU out in the wingtip! :)

Last point (then I'll shut up for a change... LoL). Will the new ADHRS offer sufficient long-term stability in the heading plane to allow use in "free run" mode for operation in higher latitudes where the magnetic compass is unreliable? This would be roughly equivalent to setting the current gyro-based DG to runway heading prior to takeoff. You know the DG precesses, just as the sensor in the ADHRS may precess, but you also know that even with that precession the instrument is waaaaay better than relying on the compass that's wandering like a drunken sailor.

Our EAA chapter just hosted our annual fly-in breakfast and my little airplane with its Dynon D100 EFIS, coupled to a Lowrance 2000c moving map GPS garnered a huge amount of attention from pilots and builders alike, not to mention the kids who looked at my panel with silver-dollar eyes and whispers of "Wow, cool!" I can't imagine the number of nose prints I'd get on my canopy with the "next gen" Dynon gear installed!!!!!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The next gen does have a photo sensor, right where you mentioned.

The LRU isn't much bigger than an EDC today, and has the same basic wiring. The one thing you have to send to it is pitot/static/AoA tubes. So it may be more difficult to install in some cases, but actually easier in others. We may eventually sell a separate air data box, but you would need to pay extra for that if you want it broken apart.

We will never be able to free-run heading. Affordable gyros like the ones we have drift way too fast, much, much worse than a mechanical gyro. Remember, we don't have "gyros" we have "rate sensors."

Canadian_JOY

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll keep hoping that eventually we'll have access to cheap enough sensors to allow free-running heading performance equivalent to a DG. For those of us who would like to fly in the north we're left with a heavy reliance on GPS since the magnetic indication on our EFIS is effectively useless.

Keep up the great development work!