Auto fuel flow calibration

N941WR

Since we are supposed to calibrate our fuel tanks before the first flight, can you add a routine to adjust the fuel flow calibration based on fuel the system thinks I used and the fuel I entered?

Of course, this assumes I fill the tanks every time. Thus the pilot must be asked if they filled the tanks and if the answer to that is "Yes", then ask how much fuel they added.

Over time, you should be able to dial in the fuel flow exactly, or as close as is possible.

airguy

Hmmm, that would be useful, if I understand what you're thinking of. You could have the system log total gallons entered during fills, and compare that to total gallons burned via the fuel flow sensor, then have the option to "recalibrate" the fuel flow sensor with a correction factor after 100 gallons, or 200, or whatever volume, to dial it in a little closer.

Possible error sources I see here are volumes lost due to fuel samples, and air bubbles in the supply line that could give a higher-than expected flow rate, but both of those seem like they would be fairly minimal compared to normal use.