Auto Pilot Drop Out

marc17522

I set up the autopilot at take-off and it drops out during take off roll, I end up resetting it again during climb out. I have also had it start a descending roll to the left during a straight and level tracking to by the Skyview flight plan and after playing with the autopilot for a while it will get back on track!!!!

60av8tor

I set up the autopilot at take-off and it drops out during take off roll, I end up resetting it again during climb out. I have also had it start a descending roll to the left  during a straight and level tracking to by the Skyview flight plan and after playing with the autopilot for a while it will get back on track!!!!
Can you explain what you mean by set up and drop? Prior to t/o I imagine you mean preselect altitude/heading? You're saying your preselected altitude and heading change during your take off roll?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The AP can be engaged on the ground so that you can test it to make sure it's engaging the control surfaces. However, in normal use, you should never take off with the AP flying the airplane (before you're stabilized and in-flight). Therefore, once airspeed comes alive, the AP disconnects if it was already engaged on the ground.

marc17522

It was not engaged on the ground it was just armed and ready to engage when I got stabilized!!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It would help if you were a bit more specific as to what you were configuring while on the ground, but I will try and describe what happens and why. I am assuming you are using the EXPERT mode in SkyView, not SIMPLIFIED.

1) You can pre-set the altitude and heading you want before takeoff. These will not change at any time.

2) You cannot pre-set VS or IAS mode. These always synchronize when you engage. We don't allow you to set these beforehand since you will get huge jerks up or down if they are not dead on when you engage. This is pretty much the way all autopilots work. Once engaged, you can use NOSE UP/DN to adjust your target.

3) If you turn the Flight Director (FD) on when you are on the ground, it will turn off as you start your take-off roll. For a FD to be useful in a take-off requires a lot of set up and knowledge about the plane, because it needs to guide you through a safe departure. We don't want someone following this in this situation since we can't do it perfectly.

marc17522

I will try to pre-set the altitude and heading, in the past I set the VS and not turn on the FD