Auto Pilot Speed

rfazio1951

The auto pilot now has speed sensitive settings, since version 16.0. What is unclear to me is where does Skyview get the speeds from? Is it in the aircraft speed range? Or somewhere else in the settings. Are the stall speed and VNE settings in the aircraft used as these high and low speed ranges? It would seem these settings should be correct for the autopilot to know how to use them.

andresmith76

I love flying!
The Maximum and Minimum airspeeds for the Pitch Axis servo are configured on the Setup Menu>Autopilot Setup>Pitch Axis page (see attached).
Is that what you were referring to?

Attachments

• 32-Autopilot Setup-Pitch Axis-Maximum Airspeed.png
    32-Autopilot Setup-Pitch Axis-Maximum Airspeed.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 256

rfazio1951

That's exactly what I was looking for. How come I didn't see that when I was looking around in there?? Thanks so much, it's so easy when you know where to look.

dougnlina

I love flying!
It would be imensely helpful if Dynon would update its autopilot tuning guide...

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The auto pilot now has speed sensitive settings, since version 16.0. What is unclear to me is where does Skyview get the speeds from? Is it in the aircraft speed range? Or somewhere else in the settings. Are the stall speed and VNE settings in the aircraft used as these high and low speed ranges? It would seem these settings should be correct for the autopilot to know how to use them.

Those have actually been in there since the beginning. They're not new.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
It would be immensely helpful if Dynon would update its autopilot tuning guide...

Or at least can Dynon PLEASE tell us what all of the new features/ settings do with some kind of plain language description of how to fine tune (the existing flow chart is out of date

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Those have actually been in there since the beginning. They're not new.
Actually I lied. I thought we were talking about the generic speed rails / envelop protection. Yes, those are new. I think they're self-documented in the menu (when you highlight the item, the bottom of the screen has some explanation). Yes, those other parameters aren't well-documented. They maybe should've been hidden, as they're a bit more nuanced and experimental, until we have them more fully documented. So I guess that means the official answer is "touch at your own risk", but I'll still see if I can dig something more helpful up from the team. There definitely isn't an updated flow-based procedure that goes through all of them though, even internally.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
>but I'll still see if I can dig something more helpful up from the team.

Did you come up with something? It would be most helpful

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So to reiterate, these experimental/deep parameters probably should have been left out of the customer-facing settings until they were better documented. Some of them may not help things, or do exactly as described, even though you'd think they would/should given their descriptions. So, in general, we'd recommend sticking to the published/documented parameters for AP tuning, and we're unable to support the others at this time. That said, here's a decoder ring:

swatson999

I think you have a cut-and-paste typo in the Pitch Gain Limit...it references *aileron* feedforward rather than *elevator* feedforward.

cbretana

Is the cutoff for high/low speed settings hard coded or configurable? And if configurable, where in menu is it? And last, if you have different settings for low speed vs high speed, does the system transition from one to the other abruptly, or gradually over some range of speeds, and if so is that range hard coded (what is it?), or is it configurable?

andresmith76

I love flying!
Configurable.

Setup > Autopilot Setup > Pitch Axis > Maximum & Minimum Airspeed adjustments.

I only found one speed setting for each of these adjustments.

This was already answered in the 2nd post of this thread.

Attachments

• 33-Autopilot Setup-Pitch Axis-Minimum Airpseed.png
    33-Autopilot Setup-Pitch Axis-Minimum Airpseed.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

robvn

I love flying!
I have an interest in where the Dynon Skyview gets the figures for the low speed/high speed values.

My issue is that the autopilot works great, smooth motions, holds altitude steady up to around 140 knots indicated, (not TAS), once I get over 140 knots the autopilot movements get a bit more aggressive and it starts to chase the altitude by 100ft above and below, if I back off below 140 knots the moment smooth out and altitude settles again.

I have tried changing the speed settings in the AUTOPILOT PITCH area and also in the PFD SETUP, AIRSPEED LIMITATIONS with no noticeable improvement.