AutoDim

Ken_Harrill

I have a D-100 and an HS34 that are functioning very well except for an annoying flicker every 10 seconds or so when flying at night. If I turn the autodim to off, the flicker stops.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

Ken Harrill
RV-6, 800 hrs

aceflyingservice

Very interesting, I have a similar problem. I have a D10A EFIS, D10 EMS, and an HS34. All is working fine, except: I made my first night flight yesterday with the Dynons. The autodimming function was on and when the displays dimmed, they started jumping slightly but noticeably. If the displays were set to full brightness, they were stable, but if they were dimmed even just one step, the jumping was noticeable. This only seems to happen in the air (engine at cruise power), not on the ground. Turning other electronics and electrical items on and off had no effect. Any suggestions?

Roger Johnson
LongEZ N34JR
1600 Hrs

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Firmware version 5.0, due out in a few weeks or so, will have improved auto-dimming behavior. Give that a go and see if it helps your flickering.

Ken_Harrill

The problem with auto dim still exists after installing the new firmware. I noticed that the light sensor value on the dim page is not steady at all. The values are constantly changing by significant amounts; e.g. plus or minus 75 units in just a few seconds (this is from memory, I will take better notes the next time I am in the hangar). The lights on the the knobs also are cycling on and off.

Any suggestions? Could it be a wiring problem between the HS34 and the D-100? I am not sure where to start the troubleshooting.

Ken
RV-6, 800 hours

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
In what type of lighting conditions are you seeing the bouncing? All the time, or just when it's darker out? And what sensor values are you seeing?

Ken_Harrill

The problem exists in low light. At least I have not noticed it in bright light. The light sensor reading is very unstable, changing from 100 to 270 in just a few seconds.

Ken
RV-6

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It sounds like we should take a look at your HS34 here. Give tech support a call at 425-402-0433.