Automated Approach

AndiK

I love flying!
Hello all,

Vertical Power once sold a product that would give you an automated engine out approach. Unfortunetly it went off the market after the company got sold.
However I believe that would be a great feature and maybe it could be integrated into SkyView: If you loose your engine or the pilot: at a push of a button the transponder squawks 7700 and the AP takes over and flies the plane to the best available runway considering altitude, wind, runway length and other factors. The only thing to do is lowering gear/flaps, flare and brake.
In case of engine out the AP should control the speed. In case of engine running the AP should give advice which airspeed to fly: cruise, best glide or approach whatever is necessary. The display could provide that info. The same is true for lowering the gear/flaps.
It also would be nice if Dynon could provide a 3 degree glideslope to any runway. GRT does it with some of their products. They call it synthetic approach.
All the required information is already there like position, speed, altitude, wind, position of the airport, etc. Again we are talking about a major emergency. What do you think?

Blue Skies

Andi

It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice

AndiK

I love flying!
One more thought: Automatically squawking 7700 will prevent misuse of the system. Since you are getting right of way over all other traffic one needs to have a good explanation why you pressed that button.
The system could also tune the Dynon radio to 121.5 and display the appropriate mayday call to ATC on the screen, like: experimental xyz mayday, ...,the pilot is incapacitated I will be landing at KXXX Rwy XX in X minutes out of a xxxx approach.
The posibilities are endless.

Andi

It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Andi:

I've passed along your suggestions. As always, no promises if it could be implemented, or when it could be implemented.