Autopilot .... cat's out of the bag now

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
ctflyboy: Generically, our servos will drop into TruTrak installation locations. But, the current CTSW installation uses a torque enhancing device on the roll axis will require some analysis before we have a good answer in that particular aircraft.

dstclair: The same as TT really, plus the time to install the AP74 or AP76 into the panel if you opt for them.

Canadian_JOY

I've been waiting a long time to see what wonders Dynon had in its autopilot goody bag. Have to say I'm impressed with what I've read so far. And excited.

Since I just blew a big part of my annual toy budget on a new 406MHz ELT and a new permanent magnet alternator it doesn't look like my airplane will get an autopilot until next winter. I'm still finding it hard to believe that adding "wing leveler" functionality to my D100 is only going to cost $750. Maybe I'll talk my chief financial officer into the -74 controller so I can get mode select and autodimming too... :eek:

Although the devil is in the details, and we don't know a lot of the details yet, I'm ready to stand up and shout, "BRAVO, DYNON!!!!"

Etienne

Apart from the buttons to set the VS dynamically, what other features will the -76 have over the -74?

What torque do your servos have? I have a fairly heavy (on the controls) aeroplane, and that's with 750mm purchase on the stick. The torque required is in the order of 13N.m. With a ballpark 75mm long servo arm, we're talking 100N of force!

Also, when the servo is disconnected, does this mean that the gearbox disengages too, leaving the servo arm to move completely freely? Or does it just depower the motor, leaving a residual force to move the servo around?

Looks good :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
With the AP76 you also get:

The ability to fly fully coupled approaches. With the AP76 you can fly any glide slope or vertical guidance that shows up as on the HSI screen. The AP 74 only does altitude hold and change on the vertical axis. This feature alone puts it up against the highest end autopilots available from other folks. We'll have automatic approach sequencing so you can fly a heading and altitude until established on an ILS, for example.

You also get true pre-selects, meaning you can dial in a heading, track, altitude, etc before whacking the engage button. In contrast, the AP74 can pre-arm which mode will be active on engagement, but it always syncs your altitude and hdg/trk to what you're currently flying when you engage.

And, as you mentioned, you can dial in vertical speed on the fly with the AP76 as you'd find on other high end autopilots. The AP74 can fly to new altitudes, but always at a pre-set VS that you configure in a deeper setup menu.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There's one in the updated panel planner on the documentation page. The bottom two buttons are subject to change.

PilotKris

What about a 3rd axis?

I've got a plane that requires coordinated rudder imput to turn (otherwise is just slips).

I would think that a yaw damper would be even easier than roll and pitch to produce since it only needs an on/off switch.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
A yaw damper is a possibility in the future, but it's not planned for the near term.

khorton

A combined AP76 and HS34 would be a wonderful option. I think I may have found a way to jam one more item into my cockpit, but I can't see how to get both an HS34 and AP76 in without ripping the whole panel out and starting over. I guess I could simply hide the HS34 away somewhere, and not use its buttons or knobs. They seem redundant, given that my GNS430 has a Nav source button, and the AP76 seems like its buttons and knob will do everything else.

Canadian_JOY

For any and all seeking additional information/discussion on this topic, the fine folks at Dynon have been very actively participating in the forum over at Van's AirForce.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=28172

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, the CDI button on the 430 only changes the output of the analog signals, and doesn't put anything on the ARINC-429 lines that we've been able to figure out, so we can't follow it as you press CDI.

Brantel

Support,

You stated the last two buttons on the AP76 might change but what the heck is the function of the TRB and FD buttons as they exist on that picture?

Brantel

Unfortunately, the CDI button on the 430 only changes the output of the analog signals, and doesn't put anything on the ARINC-429 lines that we've been able to figure out, so we can't follow it as you press CDI.

Does the CDI button mode on the G430W have any effect on what is output on the GPS ARINC or VOR/ILS ARINC lines? In other words, does it affect what is going on whatsoever on the Dynon HSI?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
"FD" is flight director. It lets you toggle it on and off easily.

"TRB" is turbulence. We'll need to complete more testing, but with a lot of autopilots, a gain that gives you really solid performance in smooth air really forces the airplane around a lot in turbulence as it tries to maintain a dead on heading or altitude. This button could adjust the gain of the autopilot for more comfortable performance in turbulence.

Pressing "CDI" on the 430/430W doesn't send out any signal over the ARINC-429 lines, so it has no effect on any part of the Dynon system.

Brantel

Pressing "CDI" on the 430/430W doesn't send out any signal over the ARINC-429 lines, so it has no effect on any part of the Dynon system.

So what you are saying is that since the CDI button controls what nav source is sent out the analog CDI/GS outputs of the 430W, and the Dynon does not use the analog signals, then it has no effect on the Dynon system whatsoever.  So in a system where you have the 430w only connected to the Dynon, it does not really do anything correct?

I am also assuming it has no effect on what is output on the 430w's ARINC lines.  In otherwords, no matter what CDI mode the 430 is in, you still get both GPS ARINC output and VOR/ILS ARINC output, correct?  If this is true, the Dynon would always be able to display both GPS and NAV data when selected by the HS34 at any time correct?

JR

Re high torque requirements in some aircraft.
Whats the capability of the new servos?
JR

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We currently have 3 servos planned:

The SV32 is rated at 30 in lb.
The SV42 is rated at 40 in lb.
The SV52 is rated at 50 in lb.

For comparison purposes, these are equivalent to TruTrak's B, C, and D servos. The SV32 servos will be available initially, followed by the SV42, followed by the SV52 (we don't have exact timeframes nailed down yet).

High torque applications are yet undetermined. Initially, we're working on providing first tier support (and installation kits) for RVs

jaba-who

And now for another request :-/

I built my panel with a view to getting an autopilot in the future and all the ones I had seen came in a standard 3 1/8 inch (I think that's the size) round instrument. So I cut a hole, made a blank etc for future installing. My panel is now really tight and no more spare space for the AP 74.

Any chance that Dynon might bring out an AP 74 or 76 in a round fronted box?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't currently have plans for any form factor other than the ones announced.

Louiscfi

Very impressive price point.....very glad I was sooooo lazy about ordering that tt. Just 1 question.

Is this going to be a system that will annunciate that the autopilot needs a change in trim and then the pilot would need to trim for the autopilot? Or, will the autopilot be able to trim the plane automatically when it is engaged?

If this system does need to be trimmed by the pilot, in your testing so far, how much trimming does it require over the normal flight range, like from cruise through climb and back to cruise again?

Thanks for your time.