'Autopilot disconnect broken'

AlanR

Happened to me twice now and wondering how to rectify.

In the cruise without autopilot engaged at all I get audible repeated 'Caution, caution, caution' with nothing to tell me what I am being cautioned about and then maybe 30seconds later I get a popup message saying 'Autopilot disconnect broken'.
If I then engage the autopilot just to see if the disconnect is really broken both the remote disconnect and the autopilot off button disconnect and work perfectly.
I have checked the wiring to the remote disconnect and all seems good.
All ideas appreciated.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There is an optional resistor that can be installed to allow the system to detect a broken disconnect wire. If just this resistor breaks, then you can get the behavior you describe.

Check out page 10-10 and 10-22 of the install manual for more guidance.

AlanR

Hi Dynon,
Yes I definitely installed the resistor when I did the autopilot installation.
So your suggestion is that this resistor may be faulty and causing the issue?
OK that gives me something to check out.

Thanks again.

rvator51

There is also in the setup menu, an option to disable checking the status of the AP Disenage switch if you want to turn off the alarm until you fix it.

SETUP MENU > AUTOPILOT SETUP > DISENGAGE BUTTON > ENABLE BROKEN LINE DETECT to “NO”.

AlanR

Well I changed the resistor and no luck...It still does it!
It did it again yesterday. 'Caution' caution caution' and then eventually 'autopilot diconnect broken' message whilst not having the autopilot engaged. However the disconnect works fine when you engage the autopilot and press disconnect.
I see on the Vans forum others are having the same problem.
I will disable the warning until someone can give me a further lead on this..

Raymo

I love aviation!
Not a "fix" for the issue but rather than installing the resistor and wiring for the AP disable button, I installed a switch that cuts power to the servos - primarily for a servo gone out of control. The Dynon manual shows a switch or breaker for this purpose (not listed as optional).

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
One think I'd check is the alert log - which is one of the files exported as part of the user data log - and check that those cautions are related to the disconnect warning. Beyond that, I'd also double-check that the resistor is actually 5K by measuring it.