Autopilot installation

Maurice Martin

Hi- I am installing in RV9. I finally got thru the calibration and ground based setup routines. I have been asked to get data for the breakout forces in pitch & roll in the event the need arises to overcome the autopilot in flight. I powered up in the hangar (tail down) & pressed the Level button. The system started moving the stick back -rattling against the stops. Like it did when running the calibration. I hit the CWS button to stop it. My question - is the AP just reacting against a situation outside its operating envelope or do I have a fault.

Stevec

I suspect the autopilot is attempting to apply corrections and the aircraft is not responding to them because it’s on the ground so it’s trying more correction etc etc. My suggestion is as long as the calibration completes successfully all should be ok

Carl_Froehlich

I can also report the default autopilot settings work well in RVs. At some point you might try the SkyView autopilot tuning procedure, but no need to rush into this.

Carl

Maurice Martin

Thanks Carl. I confess to being a Neanderthal in piloting experience having only flown Cubs & Stampes in the past so I I am on a steep learning curve.