Autopilot no longer detecting roll servo

Jplaster

I love flying!
After a trip using the autopilot with no issues last week...now I've got a red "err" beside the AP digits on the d10 efis. I'm using the AP74 for controlling the autopilot with both pitch and roll servos on my RV6. After checking the DSAB network it showed it wasn't configured...so I reset it to recognize the components on the DSAB. It now shows that the roll servo isn't detected within the network. I next tried to test the system using the only detected servo ...which is the pitch servo. The EFIS screen shows autopilot commands for pitch,but nothing is happening. On initial power up the AP74 lights all are operational. Autopilot is inop in either pitch or roll while in flight..... The CWS autopilot disconnect switch is good. Circuit breaker is fine and never tripped.....any ideas? :-/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you are sure about the wiring (it should be fine since the system worked last week, but you never know if something came loose so worthwhile checking), and you tried to reconfigure the network, the next suspect is something is wrong with the servo. Please contact our tech support people ask for help troubleshooting the servo in more detail, and perhaps initiate a repair if needed.

Jplaster

I love flying!
Thanks...will start ringing out wires to verify connections,hopefully something in the DSAB network is open. Will post results or call if wiring is good....thanks

jakej

also confirm that the pins/sockets in the dsub connectors are 'clicked' in place (a gentle pull on the wire will confirm that) as an added check. Doing a continuity check with a DMM is not necessarily the complete answer ;)

Jplaster

I love flying!
Today I verified the wiring ,plugs and connections to the DSAB network. I disconnected both roll and pitch servos...reconnected and reconfigured the network with the same results...no roll servo detected,pitch is detected,but no roll. I verified power and ground to the roll servo...still nothing. It's looking like the roll servo has failed. Any further testing on the servo in the field? I'll try calling after the holiday to discuss options...thank you :-*

jakej

You could try just plugging in the pitch servo to the roll harness or roll to pitch harness. Roll Servo to pitch harness - if that works then you know the servo is good, if not then it's a call to support ;)

Jplaster

I love flying!
I tried using only the roll servo to the network and still no detection. I reattached the pitch servo and it gets detected fine. The system won't self test using pitch only..I'm assuming because an error code is present on the D10. Tried calling tech and will retry shortly....the aitopilot AP74 and both servos were purchased in December of 2013....system was installed in April of 2014 and has worked fine until now.