Autopilot Setup

AlanR

Hi,
I have a couple of issues with my Skyview Autopilot/ Autopilot button panel installation which although I have read through the installation guides I can't get to the bottom of. Can you help please:
Servos and Autopilot panel showing 'status ready' in config.
Servo's calibrated=sucessful
Servo Test=sucessful.
All A/P setup settings at default.

Issues...
The Level button only seems to work in Expert mode?

Pressing the Level or 180 button results in the the stick going immediately hard to Starboard and the servo beating itself up. Only stopped by pressing the disconnect button!

Autotrim in setup menu is greyed out and shows 'Autotrim enabled ( Not installed)'. I have been using the trims wired through the A/P button panel (30hrs) and they work fine.

Thanks in anticipation ,

Alan.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The Level button only works in expert mode - that is true.

The stick definitely shouldn't be going hard over to the side though. Is this on the ground or in flight? Do other modes work OK?

On autotrim - have you gone through the Auto-trim configuration under SETUP > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > TRIM MOTOR CONFIGURATION?

AlanR

The aircraft is on the ground in the hangar.
I was concerned about doing some damage with it beating itself up trying to go hard over after pressing Level or 180 buttons so I abandoned things until discussed on here. Any suggesttions what I might try and check?

I will re-do Autotrim config as suggested.

Whilst realising Level button only works in Expert mode I thought it should work at all times regardless of the autopilot being switched on or off? I need to recheck but I think it is only working with autopilot 'on'.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So on the ground, what you're seeing is normal. The autopilot will try to fly the airplane, but can't because it's control surface requests don't change the aircraft attitude. And so it just keeps asking for more.

AlanR

Well thats a great relief....
Thanks for the confirmation that what I am getting is ok.
Much appreciated,

Alan.

AlanR

I started from scratch again and re-configured everything. Now the autopilot seems to work in all modes from a sittting on the ground perspective.
Autotrim now reconfigured and now showing 'Enabled' and 'On' however I can't seem to be able to prove/test that Autotrim works whilst testing on the ground. Should I be able to?
In Expert mode I seem to be able to simulate trim up and trim down with display shown and also aural warnings which change with manual stick trim changes. I would have thought that I should be able to see it also 'Autotrim', but it doesn't work. Is this due to no airflow over the elevator?
As an autopilot beginner I am just trying to get everything 'tickety boo' before airtesting.
Any thoughts /ideas appreciated....

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The autopilot software needs to be able to sense the trim forces, and so autotrim is not trivially easy to test on the ground. If you wanted to take a progressive/cautious approach to testing everything, you could disable the autotrim feature to start (you'll still get trim advice on the AP top bar), and then once you're comfortable with the AP's function, enable the autotrim feature.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I flew my RV-7A for the first time last Friday and the auto-trim worked as advertised. Still tweaking the auto-pilot settings as it porpoises up and down rather than finding and holding an altitude.