Autopilot wiring

jakej

Whichever way you wire you will need the 20G for power & ground and they will work with the DB9's.  The A/Pilot power must be on a different circuit to the network power.

Jake J

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As you say, you can route the power through the DB9 pins at the servo end, but not back to SkyView Network at the display end. The max current you can put through a machined DSUB pin is generally 5A, and 1A for the stamped type.

Bubblehead

Robert,

I bought 2 SV-SERVO-NET sets from Dynon last week and when getting into the details I was surprised to see that they end in Female DB-9s. The splitters that you sell have one Male and 2 Female DB9s. For my system I would need two splitters and two gender changers. Wouldn't it be more reliable and less expensive if I just avoid the gender changers by putting a Male DB-9 on one end of the SV-SERVO-NET?

I'll put a diagram of my system up when I get a chance but it is one Skyview 10", 1 EMS, 2 servos, one battery and 1 ADAHRS

John

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Robert,

I bought 2 SV-SERVO-NET sets from Dynon last week and when getting into the details I was surprised to see that they end in Female DB-9s.  The splitters that you sell have one Male and 2 Female DB9s.  For my system I would need two splitters and two gender changers.  Wouldn't it be more reliable and less expensive if I just avoid the gender changers by putting a Male DB-9 on one end of the SV-SERVO-NET?

I'll put a diagram of my system up when I get a chance but it is one Skyview 10", 1 EMS, 2 servos, one battery and 1 ADAHRS

John

Here's a suggested connection scheme:
SV-D1000 SkyView Network Port #1> SV-NET-xxx > SV-EMS-220
(use whatever length of SkyView Network cable that makes sense)

SV-D1000 SkyView Network Port #2> SV-NET-xxx > SV-NET-SPL

SV-NET-SPL Leg #1 > SV-ADAHRS-200

SV-NET-SPL Leg #2 > SV-NET-SERVO (male connector)

Make your connections between the two servos using butt splices or other type of connection - no need to use all the connectors provided if you'd prefer not to - just as long as all the connections are there electrically.

We really recommend against routing the 20 AWG Red, 20 AWG Black, and 22 AWG Yellow wires through the 9-pin connectors as putting those signals renders THAT connector NOT compatible with SkyView Network, and if that connector gets hooked up to SkyView Network, you could damage all the units connected to that SkyView Network line.

Please consult the wiring diagram on Page 10-9 of the current (Rev I) SkyView System Installation Guide (http://www.dynonavionics.com/downlo...em_Installation_Guide-Rev_I_Software_v3.2.pdf) for details on how we suggest using the SV-NET-SERVO wiring kit.

DONK

I love flying!
I'm sure it's been answered many times, but anyway...I have a question regarding wiring the autopilot servos. I am building a Sonex with very limited space and weight and would therefore like to splice all the corresponding roll and pitch servo wires so I have just one female d sub which goes into one of the display connectors (plus power, ground, etc separately). Otherwise, using a splitter cable, I end up with a combined total of seven male and female sockets. Will this work? Thanks.

mmarien

Murray M.
I used a terminal block to splice my servos into the network cable and it works fine. It's also a good place to connect the power and CWS. Dynon also has the SV-NET-HUB with five ports.

ServoWiring2.jpg

TRCsmith

Hate to break the bad news to ya buddy, but our IFR panel went in, once and I have not been back in there in 150 hours, apart from getting some harness pins in the connector block reseated into the block.

And I can tell you I have no desire to get back into it either!  :eek:

150 hours is nothing. Waite awhile longer, you'll be back in. They all go back in!   :cool: