aux ammeter install

lwlanger

I have an sv-1000 with ems-220.  I have installed a B&C Specialities alternator (8 amp) as a backup to the main alternator.  Is there a way to connect a shunt in this backup alternator's output to the ems-220 so I can read the current output directly without having to construct a complicated switching arrangement to the main ammeter inputs on the ems 220? In otherwords can I use a general purpose input as an ammeter input and if so how?

N316RV

I will have the same set up. I plan to just use a double pole, double throw switch. Would you ever expect to run both alternators at the same time?
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

jaba-who

I have been tossing up installing the same extra alternator system as described. And yes I would run them at same time.

I have added more gadgets into my jabiru and need it to drive them all. The Jabiru alternator is only an 18 amp alternator and it only outputs that much at fairly high revs. Although I might not want to measure the outputs all at the same time so I would not be completely unhappy with a toggle switch if I had to. But it would be nice not to have to.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Because the electronics to sense the amps shunt are different than the rest, there is only one set of inputs that can be connected to a shunt. As Alan says, you can connect an external switch to toggle between to external shunts, but there is no way to use other inputs to connect a second ammeter shunt directly to the system.

jakej

This topic has been discussed before however why not have the volts warn light working for one and amps for the other alternator ? Or have a biased switch for #2 and momentary switch it to #1 as well as lo volt warn for #1. This is my solution for the installs I've done ;)

My .02 cents

Jake J

RICHAWK

I have an associated problem. Having read the install manual page 6-35. "If you are using GRTs hall effect amps transducer etc etc." I fitted a hall effect ammeter. When I tried to find the sensor definitions for the device - I can't find it. I cannot fathom how to configure a general purpose input to display amps with a centre zero. Have I missed something ? I have studied the manual !

Richard

RICHAWK

Jake,

Thanks for the help. That explains why I can't find the info in the SV manual. I'll try and find the relevant sensor option in the SV menus over the weekend.

Richard

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, the GRT hall effect sensor is not currently supported in SkyView.

skysailor

Unfortunately, the GRT hall effect sensor is not currently supported in SkyView.

Can we expect that it will be in the future? I consider it much safer as I do not need a conductor with a direct connection to the high power of both the battery and alternator. I had hoped to use them with my D1000.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The issue with the GRT amps senders is that they aren't very stable, so we need to support an individual calibration for each sender. SkyView doesn't support a system that allows the user to adjust a sender, so this is a lot of software work.

If you are a bit technical, you can use our document to make up the sender yourself for the specific sender you have.

RICHAWK

Dynon,

Not too happy about this ! Followed all 4 issues of your install manual (page 6-35 issue D) that suggests its no problem to use a hall effect transducer. I wired up the aircraft accordingly and now find I am cast adrift. To get back to where I would need to fit current shunts is an unthinkable amount of work. I am 'a bit technical' but certainly no programmer. Surely its not beyond your technical staff to write a programme to take in a zero shift and a voltage/current coefficient and provide the AMPS label with software they have everyday practise with. Feeling very let down.

Richard

keye

This would be a perfect application for Dynon to make a step by step tutorial on making a sensor definition file. I think a lot of people would prefer to have an inductive current pickup rather than the shunt. A good example of developing a def file would allow many of us normal people to figure out the procedure and make our own files.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We realize it's a bit technical, and we are planning on adding some additional information. We'll also take a look at adding native support for the hall effect sensor since we did document it as being able to be connected.

rckol

<If you are a bit technical, you can use our document to make up the sender yourself for the specific sender you have. >

Where and in what document is this defined?

keye

Quote-
"We realize it's a bit technical, and we are planning on adding some additional information. We'll also take a look at adding native support for the hall effect sensor since we did document it as being able to be connected."

Thanks!

Quote-
"<If you are a bit technical, you can use our document to make up the sender yourself for the specific sender you have. >

Where and in what document is this defined?"

In this thread Dynon posted a link to a wiki-

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1268164287

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Making_your_own_sensor_definitions

RICHAWK

Dynon,

Well we have 2.6 now but still no further info or assist on the hall efffect ammeter ?

Richard