Aux Voltage

Rob_Fries

Is there any way to use an aux input for voltage monitoring on a D-180? I would like to monitor the voltage on a stand alone aux battery for a dual elec ignition set up. It doesn't appear that voltage monitoring is on the list of aux input capability.

Thanks!
Rob Fries

XDT

Yes I would be intrested on the EMS-D10 for the same reason

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The software in the EMS does not currently support a secondary bus voltage monitor.

josok

(D180)
Probably missing something, but is there a reason why using the backup power connection and display is not an option?
Works here just fine.

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ahh, on a D180 the backup voltage that comes from the EFIS side is a good idea. I was thinking generically of an EMS, which doesn't display a second voltage, but the D-180 is a unique case.

If you have a D180, it is possible to display a second voltage. Few caveats though: It will be displayed on the EFIS screen as text, you can't set alarms for it, and the D-180 will run off of it if he master fails, not just measure it.

Rob_Fries

I did consider the EFIS display option - it's a good one. But, i'm looking at monitoring the voltage of a small 5ah battery dedicated only to one side of the elec ignition. I don't want a situation that would allow the battery to back-feed the D-180 and/or start charging its internal back up battery. I'll probably just use a separate gauge.

Thanks for the replies.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hmm- one thought here is that if you put a 10K resistor between the backup battery and the D-180 "EB" input, this shouldn't affect the accuracy of the voltage measurement, but we also wouldn't be able to run off the EB.

We only draw nanoamps off the EB to measure the voltage until we go to use it- so the 10K won't mess with the normal voltage measurement, but the instant the D-180 went to use it, the 10K would drop so much voltage, we'd either turn off, or switch away from it.

This is theory at this point- I haven't tried this myself, but looking at the schematics, it should work fine, and it won't hurt the unit for sure. Give it a shot if you want, and it may save you a second gauge.

panheadmark

I know that this is a two year old thread and that you've had your hands full working on newer products, but I'm wondering if any of your updates have addressed this. I have  D100/D120 combo that I'm installing now and would like to monitor my second battery.
Thanks, Mark

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There have been no changes in the D100 or D120 that would allow you to monitor a second battery in a different way than described above. Rob never got back to us on if the 10K resistor idea worked, but it should.

SkyView does support multiple voltage inputs.

panheadmark

OK, so now I'm going to try the 10k resistor deal and I have a question, on my D100/120 combo where is this "EB" connection point? I haven't opened up either unit to look inside and I don't see anything in the documentation.
Thanks, Mark

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Page 2-3 of the D100 install guide covers the EB connection, which is "External Backup." It's pin 15 on the D25.

The D120 does not have an EB input.

Please do not open your D100 or D120. Even internally at Dynon, we don't consider them flightworthy after they have been opened until they are tested and calibrated.

panheadmark

Thanks for the information and no worries, I have/had no intentions of opening them up.
Mark