Avidyne IFD440 - skyview and GPS

JulienPaire

HI Dynon support. I am building in France a 4 seater. And I am planning my avionics. When you go to dynon Skyview HDX, one of the mandatory options is the SV-GPS-2020. If I have also equipped my plane with a Avidyne IFD440, which is a GPS 2020-compliant, can I have the system run without buying the SV-GPS-2020 ? Will the Avidybe send its position to the Dynon system ? Thanks a lot

XPRSAV8R

Good evening Julien,
I use an IFD550 as my primary GPS source. I do have a GPS-2020 as a backup, too. Nonetheless, your configuration should work fine.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Everything above is true. We definitely recommend the SV-GPS-250 in this case, especially since you'll be flying IFR. If you only have one GPS device (the Avidyne), its failure would remove all GPS ability from the aircraft. If you have the -250, you'll still have SkyView's moving map and synthetic vision capability.

Corefile

Does it matter If it’s a SV-GPS-2020 or a -250, could either of those be a backup for the IFD550 or 440.

XPRSAV8R

I would get the 2020 if you haven’t purchased one already. The 2020 meets WAAS standards and is faster for position refreshes vs. the 250. It’s also what’s listed on the FAA’s site as recommended ADS-B out equipage.

Corefile

I would get the 2020 if you haven’t purchased one already. The 2020 meets WAAS standards and is faster for position refreshes vs. the 250. It’s also what’s listed on the FAA’s site as recommended ADS-B out equipage.
Yep that is why I wanted to confirm - will be putting the order in (not the IFR stuff yet, that is future purchase) and will be getting the SV-GPS-2020 as part of the ADS-B transponder compliance.