AvMap and XM-Weather issues?

N930RV

Anyone else  having problems with the latest software update from Avmap?  I tried connecting the Dynon back up to the GPS after the latest update for weather and I don't get anything from the GPS on my D100.  It could be hardware but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same problem.  Yes, I have tried it with only the Dynon connected.  I may have to go back and reload an old version of the Avmap software to confirm the the Dynon is not the problem. :'(

annken100

Hi Bill,

First of all, once you install the new software you have to go into the settings page and turn on the NMEA output.  That is the easy part.  The real problem is that once you turn on the XM weather feature the serial port stops sending NMEA info.

The problem is not a software issue.  The Avmap unit has only one serial port and when the XM weather feature is activated, the only information in the serial stream is the proprietary XM data that the WxWorx reciever uses.  No NMEA sentences are sent.  

Another funny quirk is that if you turn on the weather feature without a weather receiver connected you'll never get the NMEA info back.  This is because the weather receiver must be connected to the unit in order to turn the weather feature off.  The avmap unit sends a receiver shutdown message and will not release the serial port until the receiver responds.  Once the xm weather is turned off the serial port streams NMEA sentences again.  The bottom line is that you can't have the Avmap receive weather info and send NMEA info to the dynon at the same time.

I talked to Dan at Avmap about this and his response did not inspire any confidence that they will find a solution for this.  So, for the immediate future the best you can do is wire the serial port through a switch to select either the weather receiver or the Dynon unit.  Then, in addition to throwing the selecter switch, you must turn the XM weather on and off as well.  

It is both frustrating disappointing.  I'm thinking I now have to switch to a Garmin 496 or a panel mount gps.  Whick kinda stinks because I really like the 7" screen on the Avmap.

Ken Pavlou

N930RV

Thanks for the update Ken.  I had just called AvMAp prior to looking here and the lady I talked to seemed to know nothing about this problem/issue.  So if I understand you correctly, if I turn off the weather from the Avmap setup page that will free up the NMEA or do you need to remove power from the weather receiver also?  I do hope they get a fix for this I know many people wanting to interface to APs/EFISs as well as weather.  I do like the large screen.  That's why I didn't go for Garmin.
Thank Again for your help

Bill

annken100

So if I understand you correctly, if I turn off the weather from the Avmap setup page that will free up the NMEA or do you need to remove power from the weather receiver also?
Bill

Bill,

When you turn off the weather in the Avmap setup page the weather receiver must be on and connected to the avmap's serial port.  If you don't have a weather receiver connected, the only way to get the NMEA stream back is to do a RAM clear.  This is because the Avmap unit sends a shut-down signal to the weather receiver and it will not turn off the weather feature unless it receives a response back from the weather receiver.

In other words, if you've turned on the weather feature in your Avmap unit and you  don't have a weather receiver connected, the only way to turn of the weather off and get your NMEA info back is to do a RAM clear.

I, too, hope Avmap comes up with a solution to this problem as well.

Ken