B/U battery not charging

Raisbeck

Flew for a couple hours today. During the last approach I got the warning above in the messages. Once I was on the ground and shut down I tried to troubleshoot. According to the error message on the HDX panel, the backup battery needs at least 12.5v to charge, but the buss voltage (according to the HDX) was 13.8 v for the whole 2 hours we flew. Is my backup battery dying already (the whole system is only 4 months old), or is there something that I need to check before I lay out $240 for a new battery? The smaller, 7", secondary, screen and the D10A seem to be ok; at least they're not giving the same warning.

GalinHdz

Swap the batteries between the displays, fly and see what happens. If the "bad" battery charges from the other display then the problem is with the original display. I found the plug at the wire from one display to the battery was bad causing the battery to not charge.

Raisbeck

I recently (11/27) got back from an 11 hour XC to ICT. Now that I've kinda got the system figured out (is anyone really an "expert" with these things) everything went swimmingly. Only thing I can figure is that I've been "powering down" the HDX when I land, rather than let it run down the 30 sec clock, which seems to be necessary for the system to check the b/u battery. At anyrate, I haven't seen the same error message since the last email.

Shary

I recently (11/27) got back from an 11 hour XC to ICT. Now that I've kinda got the system figured out (is anyone really an "expert" with these things) everything went swimmingly. Only thing I can figure is that I've been "powering down" the HDX when I land, rather than let it run down the 30 sec clock, which seems to be necessary for the system to check the b/u battery. At anyrate, I haven't seen the same error message since the last email.
I've been running my HDX for nearly 5 years and "power down" the HDX when I land (hit the Power off button {button 5? 6?}. My B/U battery has always tested swimmingly well during my annuals. {Ok, reads low after the test, but after flying a couple hours, it is bad to full charge or when on the battery minder with the HDX on while on the ground}. I see no reason to let the HDX self power down with the 30-second countdown --- another item I check during the annual, and only during the annual (different day from when doing the B/U battery test).
I concur with Galin on trying it on the other display and see what happens, otherwise shoot a query to Don Jones for some advice

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The 30 seconds that HDX takes to power down uses a very small amount of the battery charge - in my own airplane I don't think about it. It doesn't have any bearing on the battery test or health. It's really a convenience feature that gives you some time to opt to keep the displays on after power is cut, for example if you want to jot down your engine times or similar.

Reactions: RAS