Back-up Battery Problems

dahugo

I purchased my Dynon 180 and back-up battery about 2.5 years before it was evern installed and running in my RV-9A.  We don't have many hours on the plane, and I have noticed that battery doesn't work, or at least I don't think it does.  Unless there is power to my avionics master (where the Dynon is wired), I cannot get it to turn on with the "left button" push, nor will it stay on when I power everything down.

Furthermore, on turning the system "on", the Emergency battery shows 12 volts but quickly degrades to less than 10 (90 seconds) and then hovers around 8 or 7 for several minutes.

So, do I just need to replace it?

And my "internal battery" always shows 0 volts--how do I know if I even have an internal battery or not?

Thanks,

Dahugo

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So first, know that 12V on that battery is pretty discharged, and it can take up to 10 hours on external ship power to charge the internal battery. So if you've done that much flying or have had it powered externally otherwise, then there might be something up with the battery. If you haven't had it on external power that long, then it may just be discharged and need more time to charge.

dahugo

OK, I don't want to sound stupid, but.....

My Dynon is on the avionics BUS, and it switched. With avionics bus power ON, can I turn the Dynon ON via the switch and then turn it OFF via left button such that it has power from the BUS but the screen is not ON?

Or must the entire unit be ON for the backup battery to receive power to charge?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So if the second line on the voltage meter, the "E" line, shows a non-zero voltage, and you don't have a dedicated backup electrical circuit, then something's up with the wiring to the unit. This line is sometimes (but rarely in our experience) used by customers then have an emergency or contingency bus that has some secondary power source that's used in the case of primary electrical system failure. If the "I" line of the voltmeter is always 0, then either there isn't a battery connected or the battery is discharged or has failed. When you turn off the EFIS but leave the master power on, that should allow the battery to charge when it's connected.

mikeasselin

I love flying!
Good evening

I purchased a skyview system a while back and when I connected the backup battery and turned on skyview I got an error indicating battery was at 00.00 V

I have read the postings that indicate that you must have alternator or charging system connected.

I have connected an external charger and now am reading 14 V on the local display setup page

The SC-BAT-320 status page reads as follows:
Battery Connected ( settings) YES
Last battery shutdown NORMAL
Date of last test: UNTESTED
Test Result N/A
Battery Status: 00.00V
Charge Status:

mikeasselin

I love flying!
Good evening

Sorry the message sent before I was ready:

I purchased a skyview system a while back and when I connected the backup battery and turned on skyview I got an error indicating battery was at 00.00 V

I have read the postings that indicate that you must have alternator or charging system connected.

I have connected an external charger and now am reading 14 V on the local display setup page

The SC-BAT-320 status page reads as follows:
Battery Connected ( settings) YES
Last battery shutdown NORMAL
Date of last test: UNTESTED
Test Result N/A
Battery Status: 00.00V
Charge Status: missing/fault

Can I expect that the battery will charge over a period of time then indicate something more positive in the Charge Status? If so how long should I leave an external charger on it?

Do I have a faulty battery?

Mike

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you've got 14V on the aircraft, and the battery is physically connected to the display harness and you're still seeing 0V there, the battery is either discharged or broken. A very discharged battery may need a little help coming back up. What you should try is - again, with your 14V available - turning on SkyView via master/ships power; leave it on for a few minutes; turn it off; repeat a few times. After a few times of doing this, check the voltage again and see if it's non-zero.

dahugo

Nope. Still 0. Only registers voltage with engine running and then varies from 7!to 12 volts eratically.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hmm. Can you probe the battery terminals with a voltmeter directly (when disconnected, of course). How many volts do you see?

Bruce_Russell

I love flying!
I have the same issue with my battery.  The screen will not power up or stay on with the master off.  The battery status says missing or fault, and after several power cycles the battery will not charge.  I even jacked the bus voltage up to 14 volts with a charger.  I checked the voltage at the battery end of the connector and got zero volts.  The harness end of the battery read 12 volts. I switched out the battery with a friends and everything works fine with that battery. What's next??

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Any chance you can try your battery on your friend's screen? That would tell us if it's the battery or the screen failing to charge. I know you used his battery on your screen, but that battery was already charged so it will work even if your screen isn't charging.

Once you do that, sounds like you need to give us a call or email and have us replace that battery or screen, depending on what results you have.