Backup Battery Shutdown "Abnormal"

turbopilot

On startup of my Skyview Touch display this evening I got a Low Backup Battery message. Checked the backup battery voltage and it was 10.63v with a message indicating that the last battery shutdown was "ABNORMAL". The last shutdown of the display appeared normal to me.

So what does this mean? Battery is 15 months old with last annual check on 7/3/2015. I am currently charging the back up battery right now. Seems to be taking a charge.

IMG_7071-L.jpg

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That sure sounds like the system got left on and ran the battery all the way down.

turbopilot

That sure sounds like the system got left on and ran the battery all the way down.

Not knowingly. The battery seems to have charged up normally now and the shut down was normal. Thanks for the fast reply.

petep

I love flying!
Getting a red X on backup battery after installing v13 and Skyview claiming battery fail. Checked battery and ran battery test and it passed OK. Replaced battery with new one and get the same stuff. Worked great until I install V13. As Microsoft would say.. Its not a bug but a feature instead?

jabarr

I had the same thing happen as the OP. I don't believe that I left the display on. The battery charged back up and has been normal since.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Of the rest of you that are seeing this, are you getting the low battery warning? Or just the red X on the backup battery status on the top bar that indicates that you need a battery test?

jabarr

I did not see the red x. Just the identical msg and situation as the OP.

tomscub

I have 13 loaded, and running.  I do notice the red "X", intermittently, on the oil temp, and oil pressure, for a short time during start-up, but it soon goes away in the start up process.
Never noticed that before with 12.....Tom

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So I think I'm hearing two things:

Some of you are getting a low battery warning, followed by a successful recharge after v13 upgrade. Correct?

For others, you're seeing the red X annunciation that we normally show when you need a battery test on the top of the display. At least one of you is reporting a message/error under button 8. Do you know the EXACT text of that message? Also, what version of SkyView were you upgrading FROM?

tomscub - Definitely not the same thing, and what you're seeing is not abnormal during startup as long as it goes away once all of your displays are fully started

turbopilot

Some of you are getting a low battery warning, followed by a successful recharge after v13 upgrade. Correct?

Yes for me, and so far after more than 10 cycles of the display the back up battery has been holding charge. I am certain I did not leave the display on for my original discharge event.

tomscub

tomscub - Definitely not the same thing, and what you're seeing is not abnormal during startup as long as it goes away once all of your displays are fully started

Thanks much for the reply. All of the "X"s are gone after the system is fully up, and it's nice to hear from a pro, and to know that I have no cause for worry...........Tom