Bank/turn rate

Hotscam

I love flying!
Where do I adjust Max Bank angle and max Turn rate in 6.0?
Cannot find it in the menus or manual.

Jack Netherlands
RV12

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The bank angle option was removed in 6.0. It didn't actually do quite what people thought it did, so it is now an internal, fixed value of 30 degrees.

Additionally, the turn rate mode is no longer available. It was an older mode that was not compatible with some of our newer features, and it generally did not perform as well as bank angle mode, so it has been removed.

If you were using turn rate mode before, you may need to adjust your AP settings to get acceptable performance.

Hotscam

I love flying!
Pity.
30 degrees us too steep for most women.
Mine is happy with 15 to 20 deg :)

The turn rate was nice for making a 360/2min standard holding

So i guess we gve live with this and find other ways.

mhwebbink

I love flying!
30 deg may be okay for some planes, but it is disconcerting and beyond standard rate in an Allegro.  If this was to be set at a default, why not a 20 deg turn?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon's autopilot is a bank angle based autopilot, not turn rate. This is pretty common in autopilots, even in jets that fly IFR almost exclusively.

Bob_Redman

Most aircraft I flew did bank much higher than 30 degrees - but not when I was cruising, or conducting an approach, in IMC.   So I have a strong preference for rate one at 120KIAS (in an RV-7), and exercise caution at 30 degrees in IMC.

swatson999

Isn't ATC expecting a standard rate turn if you're IFR? That's what I was taught, at least.

You should put that option back in...

or at least make sure the box is smart enough to follow the AIM, e.g., for holding patterns, the rule is 3 deg/s, OR 30 degrees bank angle, OR 25 degrees bank angle IF a fight director is used.

I'm sure there are other callouts in the AIM for turn rates...

I agree, 30 degrees is excessive at slow speeds.

johnsteichen

To the person who said that most women do not like 30 degree bank turns. Are you kidding me? Does it have to do with genetic differences of their inner ear balance organs? Please explain.....

pborton

I love flying!
I have no problem flying steep turns when I'm hand flying. I agree that the speed is a huge factor. The Zenith 750 I'm flying now flies slow to begin with and 30 degrees of bank feels incredibly steep in this plane.
Please consider putting the old options back in future updates...