battery backup

piunocera

My backup battery isn´t working. We made some tests, and the battery are full of charge, but doesn´t keep the Skyview. Could anybody give me some informations?

bignose

Luiz,
the best thing you can do is leave these batteries in the garbidge and stay out of trouble. :D The whole system works flawless without them. Aparently there are still some unsolved problems related to the backup batteries, even after 3.2. :'(

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Actually, we don't know of any issues with batteries after 3.2. They are an important part of a SkyView used in IFR and we recommend they be connected. Any people having issues with the batteries while running 3.2 or later software should contact us.

We did have a batch of batteries that had some issues and will not hold a charge. It is likely that Luiz has one of these. Please call us at 425-402-0433 or email us at support at dynonavionics.com and we can get you a replacement.

swatson999

Do you have a lot number or sales date range on those bad batteries?

I have installed mine, but not yet hooked it up (since I'm running on the main battery only, haven't started the engine yet, so no alternator to feed the bus/charge the battery)...thus, I don't know if there is or will be an issue with the battery yet.

If you had serial numbers or lot numbers or something else to identify a bad battery *before* it gets connected and I try to go flying with it, that'd be grand... :)

Steve

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, we don't serialize or date code our batteries, so there is no way to know. Also, it was a small percentage within that batch, not all of them, so even if we knew that, we wouldn't promise a return would be needed.

All you can do is connect it, let it charge up, and then see if it will run the SkyView for at least 45 minutes. If you put a battery charger on your main battery this will usually bring the voltage high enough to let SkyView charge. Also, the batteries are shipped mostly charged, so a quick test is if the system will run for even 10 minutes off the battery. Dead batteries generally only last a few seconds.

Hooking a defective battery to the SkyView will not damage the screen in any way.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Do you have a lot number or sales date range on those bad batteries? 

I have installed mine, but not yet hooked it up (since I'm running on the main battery only, haven't started the engine yet, so no alternator to feed the bus/charge the battery)...thus, I don't know if there is or will be an issue with the battery yet.

If you had serial numbers or lot numbers or something else to identify a bad battery *before* it gets connected and I try to go flying with it, that'd be grand... :)

Steve

Steve:

Agreed - that would be nice, but we don't track the batteries with lot and/or serial numbers :-/ To test the battery:
1. Make sure it's fully charged (SETUP > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > DISPLAY HARDWARE INFORMATION).

2. Remove avionics power.

On a fully charged battery, SkyView should operate on battery for at least one hour. If not, contact Dynon Tech Support. Dynon backup batteries come with a three-year warranty. Call Dynon Tech Support and they'll arrange for a replacement battery.

piunocera

A friend went to USA and sent it to Dynon, i put my email to exchange informations, and i´m waiting a Dynon´s answer...

DJ2BA

@Dynon :)

Is the kind of the SV-Bat Top Secret?
I'm interested in the Specifications ...
Regards Willi

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's a Li-Ion battery pack, nothing too magical about it, though it is a custom unit. There is of course a safety circuit protecting it, and SkyView manages the charge and won't charge things that don't look like a SkyView battery. We don't publish the detailed specs you would need to recreate one, though.

DJ2BA

It's a Li-Ion battery pack, nothing too magical about it, though it is a custom unit. There is of course a safety circuit protecting it, and SkyView manages the charge and won't charge things that don't look like a SkyView battery. We don't publish the detailed specs you would need to recreate one, though.

Thanks for Info!
To create something own is not my intention, i was just curious what Bat. Type is in use.

Willi