Battery drain

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The EFIS will draw over an amp while charging so you need at least 2A from the charger to maintain a charge.

marc.dahlet

OK. This is if the EFIS is switched on. A few days ago, you wrote : " You can even turn off the EFIS by holding the left button and the battery will continue to charge behind the scenes - as long as it has power coming into it."
So, you confirm that if I turn off the EFIS with the left button (the display will get off), the battery will continue to charge ?
In that case, does the EFIS draw 1 amp or more when charging ?

marc.dahlet

I have charged the internal battery and I have loaded the patch.
Keep alive is not connected (not been connected by the factory of my aircraft)
The issue seems to be resolved : voltage ranges betwween +15,8 and +16,3V. Clock doesn't reset.
Best regards
Marc

ccct

If you haven't already, just email support@dynonavionics.com (reference this post), and we will be in touch with you to see if you should try our software patch.

I had rapid battery drain (2 days) when my D100 was off after 5.0.0
update at factory. Did not have problem with 4.0.4.
I  bench charged the unit for 12 hrs, and had 16.2V after charging.
(since static had been opened already, I took D100 home again.)
I've installed the 5.1.A20 patch from tech support,
and now have 15.7V  when running on battery. This has lasted
2 days, sampled once each morning.

gianmarko

i have a D10A with 5.0. firmware and internal battery that wont turn on using the 1st button.

if i power the D10A with external power the EFIS will power up, then i can disconnect power and it will continue to operate on battery for an extended time. but if i power it off and leave it off for some time, it wont turn on even when internal battery is fully charged. any suggestions?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Are you holding the left button for 1-2 seconds? You should hold it until it turns on, it's not just a quick press.

If that's not it, I'm a bit stumped. There is one component inside that if broken could cause this behavior, but that's about all I can figure out.

gianmarko

yes i hold the button for 2 seconds. sometimes it turns on, but most times it doesnt. this morning i tried and after many attempts the EFIS turned on but with the screen very dim. i tried to change the brightness but was already at max. internal voltage indication was 15.6 volts.
i connected to external power and brightness went up to normal. turned it off and wont turn on again on battery power.

EDIT:
ok more useful info. i smacked the EFIS with my fist (ok, just lightly he) and now it works... i will check battery connection inside, and will come back for more :D

Are you holding the left button for 1-2 seconds? You should hold it until it turns on, it's not just a quick press.

If that's not it, I'm a bit stumped. There is one component inside that if broken could cause this behavior, but that's about all I can figure out.

gianmarko

i have removed the internal battery of the D10A and found this

http://gianmarco.dyndns.org/varie/battery.jpg

so someone at some stage installed this non original battery, which has inside some circuitry that does something which prevents the D10A to start on internal battery.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That is a stock Dynon battery. Unless it is damaged or too old, it should work fine. The circuit on board is to protect the battery from damage and something that all Dynon batteries have.

gianmarko

oops... ok. i thought it was not original because of the panasonic label. then the battery has a problem, i have powered the D10A directly to the battery connector and it works flawlessly. its strange, because if i connect the EFIS to external power then remove it, it will stay on a couple hours no problem. but if i try to start the EFIS from internal power alone, unit wont work. i havent tried with a scope connected so cant see peaks, maybe the battery is not able to supply enough current for a startup.

actually, the EFIS will start on batteries if removed from external from no more than 1 minute. after 1 minute wont start in internal power alone. funny.

That is a stock Dynon battery. Unless it is damaged or too old, it should work fine. The circuit on board is to protect the battery from damage and something that all Dynon batteries have.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Which of master, external backup, and keep alive do you have connected?

gianmarko

this D10A is still sitting on my lab bench, will go in in place of the one on the a/c which will go for repair

i tested it on the bench, havent used keep-alive.

Which of master, external backup, and keep alive do you have connected?