baud rate from D10

• Thread starter Lars Oyno(Guest)
  • Start date
L

Lars Oyno(Guest)

I am trying to interface the D10 to other serial equipment, and would like to reduce the output baud rate from 115200 down to 9600.

Is this possible, and how do I go about to achieve this if possible?

Lars, Norway

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Lars,
This is not possible. The EFIS D10 and D10A always outputs at 115200 baud. You'll need to build an external converter to throw away some of the data and reduce the data rate to 9600 baud. The altitude encoder in the D10A does output at 1200, 2400, or 9600 baud, but it only reports pressure altitude.

The output of the EFIS is not in any standard format, so you will need to convert this data anyway or write a custom read routine to use it. It can't be directly connected to any other manufacturer's systems.

L

Lars Oyno(Guest)

Thank you

The reason why I want to reduce the baud rate is to enable Quickbasic to read and break down the output string. The maximum baud rate allowed in QB is 9600.

Lars

elektrika

Hi,
I am currently in the early stages of designing an instrumentation package for a WIG craft - i.e. flying boat.

Being a boat, not a plane, the instruments do not need to be aircraft types, nor do they need to be certified. I will be designing a processor that places all of the appropriate data on two 12" displays, including pitch and roll. I was steered towards using a crossbow gyro package, but I feel this is an overkill for our job.

My question is, can I get the attitude data from the D10A, and will it work unaided acceptably? We do not wish to use pitot probes since in a marine enviroment they wont last long.

Many thanks,
Stephen Gale

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Stephen,
The EFIS D10A or D100 outputs a data stream on a serial port which includes almost everything we can measure. You can see the data stream in our user's manual, page 28:

http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/100349_-_Rev_D_-_EFIS-D10A_User's_Guide.pdf

However, the EFIS will not work without pitot and static. We use airspeed as part of our computational solution, and operating without this will cause innaccurate attitude readings. You can of course use a basic ram air tube for your pitot- it doesn't have to be a full, standard pitot probe.

Thomas_Schaad

"However, the EFIS will not work without pitot and static. We use airspeed as part of our computational solution, and operating without this will cause innaccurate attitude readings. You can of course use a basic ram air tube for your pitot- it doesn't have to be a full, standard pitot probe."

Does this mean in other words, if I get my pitot iced up and loose airspeed, I won't be able to control the attitude of the aircraft correctly either? Until yet I was more than pleased with my Dynon, but if this should be the case, I kindly ask you to come up with back up solutions. For example GPS input that can take the speed part of the pitot if this fails. Otherwise I am sorry to say, but then we have a saftey risk!

Best regards

Thomas :eek:

khorton

Thomas - How many Dynon EFIS systems did you plan to install?  One?  If so, what was your plan in case the Dynon EFIS itself died?  

What ever plan you have to deal with a total EFIS failure, that same backup plan should cover you for unreliable attitude due to pitot blockage.

If you want specific protection against iced up pitot tube, then maybe you should use a heated pitot tube.

Thomas_Schaad

Thomas - How many Dynon EFIS systems did you plan to install?  One?  If so, what was your plan in case the Dynon EFIS itself died?  

What ever plan you have to deal with a total EFIS failure, that same backup plan should cover you for unreliable attitude due to pitot blockage.

If you want specific protection against iced up pitot tube, then maybe you should use a heated pitot tube.

Hi Kevin,

I have one D10A of them installed and plan to add the EMS10 as well. I do agree with you, there needs to be redundancy in the cockpit and having panelspace and money there is basically no limit ;)

Anyhow, In my opinion the six basic flight instruments are giving redundancy to istelfs as well, so the ADI can replace a good part of all the other five, as attitude is the most important thing in flying an airplane. Looking at the way Dynon's engineers obvioulsy did set up the EFIS, it looks as either all or nothing is functional. This aspect doesn't look to great for me, as I am used - regardless if EFIS or conventional electro mechanic - parts can fail, but the rest remains 100% reliable. Here we face a simple fact if it's true that the attitude can't be controled without the speed: An iced up pitot tube can lead into a fatal situation. This aspect I don't like at all and I think Dynon would do good to bring us a software that still controls attitude safely if the speed has gone. There are to many nasty lawyers out there, just looking for the first incident caused by this.

If only pitch gets inacurate by loosing the speed, Dynon could give us an easy emergency guidance, as for example: No speed, relay on bank and VSI only. They even can add a popup on the ADI telling this. This would do it already, but I guess the Dynon Tech Reps will pop in soon and explain us what exactly happens and what to do. Finally the safets way to fly an aircraft is to completely understand it's systems and for this I really love this forum.

My plan in fact is to add the Trutrak 2 1/4 ADI once it's available. Then I have a conventional turn and bank and VSI as well. The good part I love about the D10A is the backup battery. I have one in my GNC250XL as well. This combination makes me pretty redundant in case of complete electrical failure.

Kind regards

Thomas