Bench test for Dynon 10A

rock5219

I purchased my 10A several years ago, as I optimistically, and mistakenly figured I would be using it within the next year or so. Wrong!! Anways, I pressed the "on" button today, and nothing happened. Is the backup battery toast? Is there a way to power it up on the bench for testing before I stick it in the panel?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If it sat for years, the battery has probably discharged itself, which is normal.

You can power it up on the bench. You need to hook up power to the D25 on the back, per the install manual. Once you put 10-30V on the power lines, it should turn right on. Power and ground is all that is needed.

If you want to recharge the internal battery, leave power on it for about 24 hours.

rock5219

Connected the unit using pins 1 & 3 for 2 days. Still nothing. Removed the battery and checked it. No power at all. Tried charging via 12 v battery to pins 1 & 3 for 2 days. Still nothing. Any ideas?  Randy

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Getting a completely dead battery started again can be a bit tricky. We've updated our charging methods over the years, but your unit has very old firmware on it, so it's not using the newer methods.

If you still want to try, plug the battery back in to the D10A. Power up the D10A on pins 1&3 for about 2 minutes. Pull the power to the unit. Then plug it back in for about 2 minutes. Repeat this a few times. This should get the battery back in action. You'll then need to keep it plugged in and on for a day.

Your other option is to build up a harness to update the firmware in the unit.

You can tell if the battery is charging by bringing up the VMETER info item. This will have an "I" voltage, which is the internal battery. If this starts reading something besides 0, we've detected the battery and are charging it. It's totally dead at about 14V and charged at 16V.

As a note to you and other customers, please don't ever try and charge the battery yourself. It's a Lithium-Ion battery, and you can't just hook a voltage up to it to charge it. You need a complex mix of current and voltage control to do it properly. The battery does have a self-protection circuit built in to prevent abuse or any big problems, so it's not a huge deal, but just hooking 12V to it won't do anything, especially since the battery needs 16.8V to charge.

If all else fails, you can always mail us the battery and we can test it and charge it for you.