Best way to lean video needed

mrbizi

Anyone do a video on how to lean with dynon? I can’t find it. Please share. Thanks!

Tango Mike

The best advice to lean an engine might be given by Mike Busch of Savvy Aviation. His technique does not rely on EGT indications. However, to initially determine the parameters to lean your specific engine/airframe using his method, some gathering of numbers is first required for CHT, EGT, FF, and MAP. To do this, Mike has a great book called "Mike Busch on Engines: What every aircraft owner needs to know about the design, operation, condition monitoring, maintenance and troubleshooting of piston aircraft engines."

The book goes deeply into getting the most life out of your engine. This is done by avoiding the "danger zones" that he calls Red Box and Red Fin, which are the engine operating regions that put excessive stresses on the cylinders and pistons.

He also did a good video here:
. . It is not Dynon-specific, but it's probably the best advice out there for both performance, fuel efficiency, and engine longevity.

mrbizi

Thanks for this Mike Busch video it’s great. However, I’ve never had any digital EGT system. I simply would lean mixture until it ran rough and then go 50deg ROP as i didn’t have ANY digital EMS at all. Now that the Dynon EMS is there, I don’t know how to use it. I was never given any sort of manual from the installer. Any one know what the Lean Assist thing does or how to use it? I assumed I would just click on it to enable it and then lean like normal and it would tell me ROP or LOP but it doesn’t seem to change… it just says Lean. What’s this supposed to do?

Rhino

Your installer didn't give you operating instructions because he didn't have them to give. The Airplane Flight Manual Supplement is supposed to provide operating instructions for Skyview installations in certified aircraft, but there are almost no operating instructions in it whatsoever. You should download the Pilot User Guide from the experimental support site. Just keep in mind that a certified system won't do everything you see in that guide, and some things you can do may not be legal for certified aircraft. Compliance is your responsibility. But it should give you much better information on operating your Skyview.

Last edited:

DBRV10

Can I suggest you spend a few bucks an do the APS class. Your engine monitor is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than just leaning and I assure you the money savings on fuel is sizeable, but the real value is elsewhere. Trust me on this this, you do not know what you do not know, yet.

Feel free to post up the results of your first crack at the fun test. :)