BONANZA V35B ELECTRICAL TRIM SYSTEM

Fturpaud_f

Dear All,
I have a 1975 V35B bonanza with Dynon system and autopilot, but no electrical trim system.
With the recent certification of the SkyView Trim Motor Adapter I am having a hope to finally get an electrical trim, but I can't find any stand alone electrical trim system for the Bonanza.
Any return of experience of who has installed the SkyView Trim Motor Adapter on his bonanza would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Fabien

Danerazz

As far as I know, your only option is the Genesys (formerly S-TEC) manual electric trim, then interface with the Dynon AP. Pretty sure they are approved for the V35.

I can’t find anything on the Genesys site, but Sarasota Avionics lists it for $3,889 plus installation. You should be able to ask any avionics shop about it if they can still get them.

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
Three years ago I helped my friend install the Dynon system in his 76 V35, and he had a Century IV autopilot in it. We removed the entire Century IV autopilot except for the trim motor. We wired the trim motor (using relays) to run off the yoke's trim switch, enabling him to continue to use electric, manual trim. Now that the Dynon trim system is certified, it'll be a simple process for him to add the Dynon amplifier and wire the Century IV trim servo to it and the Dynon Autopilot Controller.

So as an option, you could install a Century IV trim motor, possibly available cheap from avionics shops that have done upgrades, or eBay, or better yet, salvage yards, where you can get all the mounts, etc., at the same time. Last time I looked at installing the standalone STEC Trim system three years ago, it was ~$6000 (also Sarasota), parts and labor, so you'll have to weigh the economics of a used Century IV trim motor with sweat equity or hiring a local A&P, vs the ease of just giving it to a shop and writing a check.

Danerazz

Does the century STC allow a standalone trim installation? Can you still get the STC approval to install a century component at all?

It SOUNDS easy, but there may not be a legal way to just go to a salvage yard and buy a used motor and mount it.

Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean it’s legal.

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
Does the century STC allow a standalone trim installation? Can you still get the STC approval to install a century component at all?

It SOUNDS easy, but there may not be a legal way to just go to a salvage yard and buy a used motor and mount it.

Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean it’s legal.
True, but just because it seems unorthodox doesn't mean it shouldn't be presented.