Brightness adjustment HDX?

brennon24

My auto brightness is either set too bright for my liking or at night the settings are defaulted to a setting that does not seem to work for night flight. I have tried going into both the brightness setup via 7 & 8 keys and through Display-Dim offset however, every time I fly at night I still have to manually turn the screens down. Can I change one of these (see pic below) sensor values so that it dims down to my liking? Thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You can. You just need to play with it those 4 values though to get a curve that works for you. Basically, when you're in the conditions that you want to dim down at, come into this screen. You'll see the LOCAL BRIGHTNESS SENSOR at some number (probably lower than 872 at night). You'll then want to adjust probably the bottom two numbers to darken the screen for the sensor value that you're seeing (which probably means raising the 25% and maybe the 50% numbers.

brennon24

Awesome! I knew it was auto dimming, it was just still really bright with two screens. Thanks!
Side note, is there any way to add the approach plate step down altitudes to the Flt Pln page to the far right where there is nothing? That would be awesome. Also some screens will show it on the map beside the waypoints. I’m guessing this isn’t an option for us yet? Thanks again!

lavallejd

You can. You just need to play with it those 4 values though to get a curve that works for you. Basically, when you're in the conditions that you want to dim down at, come into this screen. You'll see the LOCAL BRIGHTNESS SENSOR at some number (probably lower than 872 at night). You'll then want to adjust probably the bottom two numbers to darken the screen for the sensor value that you're seeing (which probably means raising the 25% and maybe the 50% numbers.
So what does the sensor value represent (0-999)? Am I thinking that this is some engineering unit representing some unknown value (voltage? illumination?) In other words, what is the sensor's output in engineering unit? I think I understand that the 100/75/50/25% values are providing some form of calibration curve but it's hard to play with this "hit or miss" method to get the cal correct. The manual is written poorly and at least needs some theory of operation to help guide us to what we are suppose to do.