Brite Screen Setup

tlandr1

Hello, I have a D100/D120 systems and am a little confused about the Brite Screen setup in the DSAB menu. When I toggle yes to answer do I have the brite screen option, the screen actually seems to get dimmer. Is this normal?
Thanks, Tracy

PhantomPholly

I have that too - the Brite Screen also has a light sensor, and what you are seeing is Auto Dimming.

Poke around the menu to find the Auto Dim option, turn it off and make the screen full brite.

Unless you are flying at night, of course...

N930RV

I don't think that the D100 or D120 bright screens have any light sensors.  Perhaps you have the HS34 or AP74?

According touser's manual- page 5-12;
"If you have any D100-series bright screen units in the system, you must press BRITR on any bright screen unit to get the bright screen units to their final step of brightness.
The HS34 and AP74 have built-in light sensors which can be used to automatically dim all of the screens connected to a DSAB network (if both installed, their sensor values are averaged). To turn this function on, press AUTODIM."

tlandr1

Thanks for the response. No I don't have an HS34 or AP74 just the displays. Could it be that these are not in fact brite screen units?
Tracy

PhantomPholly

Yes, I have the HS34 - my mistake if that is where the light sensor it.

I don't think the "Brite Screen" setup option is even available if you don't have one - but I'm not certain about this.

Dynon, what's the real answer?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The option is always there, but it only makes a difference if you have units DSABed together. The goal here is to have different brightness screens APPEAR the same, since for a given backlight level, a super-bright screened unit is about twice as bright as a regular unit. Practically speaking, this only matters at night.

Sometimes it'll kick the brightness down a notch when you choose the option. What you can do to absolutely ensure everything is in sync is to individually set each screen's option, then recycle power to everything, and then to a fresh DSAB configuration.

Text from the manual...

----
Brightness Configuration
In a DSAB network, changing the brightness level of one instrument affects all connected
instruments. Dynon Avionics sells D100-series instruments with both regular and bright screens.
Each instrument connected to your DSAB network must have its display type configured to
ensure that perceived brightness matches across all screens. To do this, enter the SETUP >
DSAB > BRIGHTNESS menu on each product in the system. If you purchased the bright screen
option for your FlightDEK-D180, press TOGGLE to change the BRIGHT SCREEN status to
YES. Otherwise, ensure this is set to NO.
If the DIM setting of one of the screens in a DSAB network gets “out of sync” (some
dim, some bright), this can be corrected by adjusting the DSAB Bus Master screen to the
desired DIM and then performing a DSAB CONFIGURE.
---

PhantomPholly

If I read that correctly, using those instructions if you had one brite and one normal screen you would not get the benefit of the brite screen in daylight because the brite screen would be damped to simulate the normal screen.

Is that what that says? If so, I'd leave them independent...

Well, I only have one so it's not an issue for me.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It means that it will align the brightness on both screens until you hit BRT the very last time. You can still get to full brightness, but when you first set it, it tries to align the screens, so it dims the brighter screen to match the dimmer one. Go into the DIM menu and you can bring it back up.

It's also used when you have an HS34 or AP74 so that it matches the light sensor properly.

tlandr1

Thanks for all the input guys. Toggleing the option to yes seperately with only one unit on at a time and then doing the DSAB configuration fixed it.
Thanks All
Tracy