CAN Fault message Rotax 912iS

drewbrou

I have Rotax 912iS, with Dynon SV in a Sling2. The ECU backup switch is used, with Lane A&B plus fuel pumps on, to “prime” fuel pressure, then turned off, before start. After 40 hours engine time I began getting a yellow “CAN Fault” message when turning on the ECU Backup. After the ECU Backup off, the warning message remains on. Once the engine starts, the warning message goes off.

If I “prime” with just the fuel pumps on, and not Lanes A&B, no warning message appears.

During the first 40 hours no warning message appeared. I’ve attached a few screen shots of fault warning, fault explanation, and CAN status.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpeg
    IMG_0105.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0109.jpeg
    IMG_0109.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86

HEB1022

I have Rotax 912iS, with Dynon SV in a Sling2. The ECU backup switch is used, with Lane A&B plus fuel pumps on, to “prime” fuel pressure, then turned off, before start. After 40 hours engine time I began getting a yellow “CAN Fault” message when turning on the ECU Backup. After the ECU Backup off, the warning message remains on. Once the engine starts, the warning message goes off.

If I “prime” with just the fuel pumps on, and not Lanes A&B, no warning message appears.

During the first 40 hours no warning message appeared. I’ve attached a few screen shots of fault warning, fault explanation, and CAN status.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I’m having a similar issue. I believe my problem started with v16.5. What version are you running?

djones

Administrator
Staff member
The CAN FAULT message is something new with version 16.5 and all of the changes added for Rotax engines.
You will currently get that message any time the engine is not running. Engineering is aware of the problem and working
on surpressing that message below a certain RPM to prevent it from coming on when there really isn't a problem, like the engine
isn't running yet. It's fine now, goes away when the engine is running, it's just a bit of a false message. It will get improved.

drewbrou

Thanks Dynon for the update.

Shortly after receiving the CAN FAULT message, I started having start issues with my Rotax 912iS. Trying to start my engine using master switch, I encountered clicks on the relays and the Lane lights did not go on as expected. If use the ECU backup switch, everything works as intended. I was troubleshooting a wiring or battery issue. Might this issue also be associated software update?

PaulSS

I love flying!
If the backup switch is working okay (which connects EMS earth direct to airframe earth) then it sounds like an earthing problem with your start switch.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't possible for us to affect things like that on the aircraft. We don't send anything TO the Rotax ECU, only receive data from it.
Definately a problem in the aircraft electrical system.