CASA Hex Code

rgmwa

I love flying!
The transponder/aircraft code in the Skyview transponder setup menu is only 6 digits long, while the CASA mode S transponder code is 24 digits long. How do I get around that problem?
rgmwa

vlittle

The transponder/aircraft code in the Skyview transponder setup menu is only 6 digits long, while the CASA mode S transponder code is 24 digits long. How do I get around that problem?
rgmwa
Sounds like the SkyView wants the hexadecimal equivalent of the CASA binary code.

You can convert here: http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/binary-to-hex-converter or you can do it in your head if you've never had a social life :)

Vern

rgmwa

I love flying!
Thanks Vern. It did cross my mind that it might be something like that but my TRS80 and CPM programming days were a while ago. As we're talking about a transponder, I'd like to get it right so I'll have to resort to your handy converter. Don't think I'd trust my mental arithmetic anymore.  :-/ The CASA code is binary as you guessed. Are you guys in the US issued with a hex transponder code by the FAA? 

vlittle

Well, not sure about the Unexplored Southern Area (USA), but in Canada we get hexadecimal, octal and binary options as I recall, in both official languages.

There are 10 people who understand binary: those that do and those that don't.

Vern

rgmwa

I love flying!
Ah, so you're from land of the maple leaf. Sorry Vern, I just assumed you were from south of the border. That's the great thing about these forums - doesn't matter where you live. Thanks for the help :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
FAA tail number lookup now (mercifully) reports the HEX code in HEX; that's reduced our Tech Support burden considerably.

<snip> Are you guys in the US issued with a hex transponder code by the FAA?