CDI or EHSI functionality

kwieringo

I don't see any questions about this subject and can't find any answers about these functions.
Garmin say's there is a need for an external nav head (MD200-406) for example to provide the CDI results from the SL30 or the GNS430AW avionics.
Can your New Generation Displays provide this functionality, using arinc469 or RS232 serial data conectivity, without having to purchase or take up panel space, with an external CDI?
Thanks,
Ken
-=====-

Brantel

The current products can do that.

The SL30 does not need anything to work, The 430W needs the HS34 for the ARINC interface to take full advantage of its features.

kwieringo

Not trying to be obtuse or excessively dense, but does your answer mean that the new units will do the same thing?
Also, I read in some other posts that the New Generation EFIS will probably not need the HS34 functionality, since it will be "built-in"
and the new units will have knobs and joy sticks incorporated in the knobs, to provide controls that the HS34 does now. Correct?
I know it's not 2009 yet, but I am planning my panel using two of the 7 inch EFIS with an extra 1/2 inch all around the "actual size" planning panel on the web site. I am a recent convert, that has not been considering the Dynon products. But the more I investigate the better I like what I see, plus there's an advantage in pricing.
Thanks for a well run board, and prompt answers.
Ken
-====-

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, we do plan on doing a HSI from external radios in the next product.

You didn't even need an HS34 with a GPS and a SL30 with our current products. The HS34 was more for people with a 430/530, that only used ARINC429. Serial radios are directly supported.

We will still need a ARINC-429 converter in the next product, if you need that for your radio, but it will not likely be panel mounted.

All that being said, there is a good chance full HSI functionality won't be there on the very first day the product ships, but will be a future firmware upgrade (which are free and you can do yourself).

DjAg5dosk2

Please make any future HSI/CDI deselectable. My current BMA EFIS 1 has a permanent CDI and I hate it. It chews up valuable screen space. Having flown MD11s for 15 years I can assure the light airplane crowd all one needs is a course deviation from your planned navigation route on the map. On ILS/LOC a localizer deviation scale is more useful vs. the monster CDI too. Same notion on any non-precision, course deviation scale vs chewed up screen space.

Best
Howard Rhodes