Chart upgrade

mem235

I seem to be doing fine with the std dynon aviation information displayed on hdx moving map. I have ifr and vfr charts on foreflight. Are there compelling reasons for upgrade to Seattle Avionics charts or should i just keep it simple and stick with dynon hdx info?
Thank you in advance

CanardMulti

Not trying to spread grief here, just taking a cold, hard look at how I see Murphy's Law intersecting with IFR flying in a GA cockpit.

Foreflight = iPad dependent. It's a great tool when it works. However, that equals battery dependent, not overheated dependent, and external GPS source dependent (= wifi or BT dependent). The iPad internal GPS (cellular models) works OK when it works, but I've seen it break lock many, many times under totally benign conditions. If you're OK carrying up to date paper enroute charts, paper approach charts, paper airport facility directories, etc., as backup, you're good to go.

"But I've got Foreflight on my phone as a backup!" Yea, right. Can you really read the info on a low enroute IFR chart on your phone? Do you REALLY want to have to shoot an approach with the only approach chart available on a screen the size of your phone's? At night? Bouncing around inside a cloud? IMHO Foreflight charts on a phone serve the same purpose as Dumbo's feather (you young'uns can Google that one).

Carrying a second iPad that you keep current and charged with the same care you give your primary works as long as the environmental (heat) situation is accounted for. The thing is, you can buy a fair number of SA yearly subscriptions for the cost of a reasonably current model iPad and the SA data displays fine. The data integrates with Skyview seamlessly, and all your data eggs aren't in one technological basket. Also, if you buy your IFR navigator's data from Jeppesen, you don't need to spent the money for the Jep approach charts.

Just my $0.02 worth. YMMV.

mem235

Ah yes, thanks. Narrowly, i was only thinking of amount and proximity of data on screen. Certainly, having resolved the battery and charging, the sun seems more often than not to shine in correct direction for that dreaded overheat.

JP JR

While I truly love the dynon system I have in my plane If I had known how utterly pathetic the Seattle Avionics maps are I so would have gone another route… hopefully Dynon finds another direction soon

mem235

JR, some productive detail would help. Assuming that seattle avionics fully replicates vfr and ifr charts and procedure plates, does having them on your moving map benefit you compared to std dynon map display? Separate from the fact that the dynon requires independent ifr navigator, is there advantage to upgraded charts?

Corefile

Agreed with @mem235 - what exactly is so horrible about the quality/information of the Seattle Avionics maps? I'm putting aside the absolute garbage POS Chart Manager Software that we are stuck using to update them, but once you have them on your Dynon, what is wrong with them?

JP JR

Ya I should have clarified my beef.. it’s not the maps or the content itself it’s the Chart Manager Software that’ll drive about anyone crazy with frustration.. updates are painfully slow and have a high probability of failing and necessitating the excruciating process of starting all over again

JP JR

when I go through the same process of updating my chats and maps on my GPS that’s required for IFR flight it works flawlessly and nearly instantly so every update is like a slap in the face when you watch one system do it right and the Seattle update just Doesn’t

Rhino

Having to use Seattle Avionics for chart updates is probably the single most hated aspect of using Dynon avionics, so you're certainly not alone. Some users report better success with the latest software versions, and some do not, so it appears to be fairly hit or miss. I guess some success is better than no success at all, but it's little comfort if you aren't one of the folks having better success.

soarhead

I have used Seattle Avionics charts and found that updating or loading the charts is easiest using the FlyQ app and slingshot. Haven't had any issues in that regard. Having said that, I don't like the fact that the charts can only be viewed in North Up and that is simply a limitation of them not being vector charts, not a Seattle Avionics issue. They are simply digital images of the paper chart. When my subscription expired, I just didn't see the value in renewing. The basic aviation and terrain obstacle data that I get from Pocket FMS ( I'm not US based ) is more than adequate. I flightplan using Foreflight and the Dynon shows all airspace dimensions and proximity which is just fine. I am used to that dispay anyway because that is what we see in the airplane I fly for work. I upload it directly from Foreflight using the wifi dongle and check it against what I had planned in the iPad. After that, I rarely need to bring out the iPad again except to check something along the route or momentarily check the map for something, or brief an approach. This is exactly how we do it at the airline using Jeppessen Flight Deck pro and it works just fine.

Last edited:
Currently vfr pilot with a new dynon setup that im still trying to figure out. I have foreflight that I'm used to. Installer says get the charts and throw the ipads in the back as the Dynon shows the info better. What say you?

CanardMulti

Currently vfr pilot with a new dynon setup that im still trying to figure out. I have foreflight that I'm used to. Installer says get the charts and throw the ipads in the back as the Dynon shows the info better. What say you?
Charts on Skyview:

- Don't shut down from overheat.
- Don't bounce off your lap in turbulence, landing in a spot you can't reach in flight.
- Don't need their battery charged ~ need a power cable and power outlet.
- Don't need either a working wifi or BT link to show "ownership" (you real time position on chart).
- Are larger (= easier to see clearly) than any mini-tablet.
- Can't be misplaced, stolen, or forgotten at the FBO.
- Especially significant for 'mature' folks flying IFR: Do not require as much eye movement (and / or refocusing of your eyes) away from primary flight instruments.

These are just off the top of my head. IMHO, they are a more reliable and streamlined option. Can you get along by instead using other tablet apps? Sure you can.

Ken

soarhead

I think this is more of a personal taste sort of thing. Ken brings up some very valid points or "pros" for using the charts in the Dynon vs the iPad but as always, there are other things you may want to consider as well. The big one for me is that the charts from Seattle Avionics are "Rastor" and the ones in Apps like Foreflight are "Vector". You can google the differences but basically, a rastor is just a digital image of a paper chart. Turn it upside down and the text is now upside down. Zoom in and the image doesn't get any bigger, you just zoom in on the image until eventually, it's just out of focus. I can pan in and out and look around the chart much easier on an iPad than I can in the Dynon. The other advantage with the iPad is that you can flightplan from anywhere, get weather, notams and file your flight plan from any hotspot. It also does many other things like finding an Uber if you need one, takes photos, keeps you connected with family and friends. I always have at least an iPhone with me and if for some reason, the Dynon goes down or has a malfunction, I still have a redundant means knowing where I am and where I want to go. Having both is probably the best way to start initially and then see for yourself which you like better. A few features that I find really useful with the Dynon are the electronic checklists and weight and balance.

rjones560

I seem to be doing fine with the std dynon aviation information displayed on hdx moving map. I have ifr and vfr charts on foreflight. Are there compelling reasons for upgrade to Seattle Avionics charts or should i just keep it simple and stick with dynon hdx info?
Thank you in advance
I have the Seattle Avionics charts. Here is what I can tell you. You can change from the Dynon charts to a VFR Sectional, to an IFR Low chart or an IFR High chart with a few button pushes. When I fly IFR I usually have the IFR Low chart displayed. You can display all the terminal charts over the moving map area. I usually turn off the info bar on the right to make it bigger. They are geo referenced so you see ships position on the chart. You can pinch the chart larger and view only what you need to see right now. It also works great with the taxi chart at unfamiliar airports. One down side is ADSB traffic does not show up on the terminal charts view, only when viewing any of the enroute charts.
I still use an IPad with all the Seattle Avionics charts on it. In fact I usually have 2 IPads with the charts in the cockpit because my wife is usually sitting next to me with hers. She also has an HDX1100 on her side of the cockpit (RV10) and she is also a retired professional pilot.
I used to use ForeFlight, and the only thing I miss is the weight and balance program. Once I learned the software well, I considered Seattle Avionics better. Once I start an approach, I get everything I need off the chart on the HDX1100.

Last edited:

Tim Fitz

Just a small data point here. In the past I have had many issues with updating my SA charts. For some reason (clean living, long walks on the Florida beaches last week) this time I got both my USB drivers to update in a matter of minutes. Same computer, same Internet provider, same routine. I guess sometimes the stars align, will see what it does in 28 days.

rjones560

I hav
Just a small data point here. In the past I have had many issues with updating my SA charts. For some reason (clean living, long walks on the Florida beaches last week) this time I got both my USB drivers to update in a matter of minutes. Same computer, same Internet provider, same routine. I guess sometimes the stars align, will see what it does in 28 days.
I have heard a lot about this issue, but never experienced it myself. I have 3 Dynon HDX screens to update so I have 6 USB 32GB sticks and rotate them. I take some long trips so I put everything on them from Southern Canada to Nicaragua. I have a fast internet connection at home and my laptop downloads the new charts in the background. When I update the USB’s I do two at once so I only have to do it twice and usually let it run while I am reading my Email or watching the news. Using the WIFI on the aircraft is too slow for me. I have only been using Seattle Avionics for a little over a year.

Mooney231

Yes, let's get a review of Airmate - Seattle Avionics is driving me nuts. It takes FOR EVER to download VFR, IFR low and high charts for only 7 states. Garmin, by comparison, is less than one minute for the 175 GPS navigator. I may be doing something wrong with the Seattle Avionics file manager but if I am, it's because their instructions seem terrible (to me).

Looks like the chart itself is still going to be raster.

I havent purchased anything from Seattle avionics, but their whole site layout just seems clunky and difficult to navigate for the uninitiated

N7600J

I've used Seattle Avionics for 3 years now. Each year for Black Friday Seattle Avionics offers a limited number of Life time accounts at a very reasonable rate. That's what I did. I agree that at first it was really slow updating to my USB flash drive. But I since upgraded my USB to a USB 3.1 flash drive that made a considerable difference. Its probably 70% faster.