CHT reads too high on Cyl. #3, in high power situations D-180

SammyQ2

No - It's not what you may think.

Cont. O-200. I was in this years AirVenture Cup race, my 15th. I have fuel injection, electronic ignition & 9:1 pistons. I normally race at 3,000 RPM. Half way through the 375 nm race, Cyl. #3 suddenly shot up to 455 degrees. I'm going to skip most of the hours and hours of engine troubleshooting (compression checks, borescope, etc.) associated with this condition. Long story short, I completed the race at a lower power setting, then flew from Wausau, WI to OSH, then flew home a couple of days later.

The odd thing is, the cylinder only jumps out of the average range at high power settings, say over 2,900 RPM. Below that, Cyl. #3 falls in line with the other three.

Not finding any obvious problems with the cylinder, I replaced all of my old beat up Westach CHT sensors and installed more robust Insite Avionics gasket type sensors. Test flight yielded no improvement. Here is a photo from that test flight.
Insight CHT-1.jpg

Now, here is the crazy thing. I then swapped CHT thermocouples, on cylinders #1 & 3 and made another test flight. If the Cyl. #3 was acting up, on the D-180 display Cyl. #1 should be showing hot, but it was not. It was still showing Cyl. #3. Here is a photo from that flight.

Swapped 1&3 senders.jpg

I'm at my wits end, but at this point it surely seems to be an instrumentation problem. Have any of you seen anything like this? What could explain this? Possibly a problem with the D-180?

BTW - I still won my class in the race. But then, I was the only one in the Sprint category.

Thanks

CanardMulti

Just a thought re another trouble shooting angle. When you replaced the probes did you also replace the wiring all the way to the cockpit? Personally I hate pulling pins from connectors, but try swapping the CHT probes at the panel end connector, as in temporarily install the #1 pins to the system's input for the #3 CHT and the #3 pins to the system's input for CHT #1. See if / where problem now shows up. What you then see on the cockpit display might give you a fresh perspective on nailing down which piece of the system is malfunctioning.

Ken

Marc_J._Zeitlin

While it may certainly be an instrumentation issue, and doing what Ken suggests is a way to isolate it to that, if the problem doesn't follow the probe or the wire, then either there's something wrong with the D-180 itself but only for Cyl. #3 (which would be extremely unlikely), or (far more likely), you actually have a problem with Cylinder #3. Since you say it only occurs with very high power levels, detonation comes to mind. That would be my next path of investigation - it doesn't sound like instrumentation to me.