Clock problem after 5.0 update

65xx

After the 5.0 update, my clock on the D180 and D100 (D180 the master) need resetting at next powerup. Both units have internal batteries and keep alive wires. I use 24 hour for the local time and Z+8 for ZULU. The clock resets as per manual and keeps good time until the units are turned off. What am I doing wrong or missing? Dan.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just to be clear, are you saying that your clocks needed a one time set after the firmware update, or that they now reset EVERY time you cycle power?

If the latter, do you still get the 30 second countdown timer on both screens when you shut off master power? And when you power the units back up, and the clock is wrong, what time is it showing?

65xx

The clock must be reset after powering down. Note: If I reset the clock then power down, then immediately power up, the clock has the correct time. I tested this today, I reset powered down waited 5 minutes and added power, the clock had the correct time. I repeated this exercise 4 times, with the correct time displayed. I then waited 30 minutes powered up, the clock was wrong +7 hours and 14 minutes. Interesting thing is the D180 was the unit tested, I powered down he D180 and powered up the D100 and the time was correct. I then power up the D180 and the time on the D100 changed to the incorrect time. I powered down the D180 to see if the D100 would reset to the correct time, it did not. Additionally, I note that each unit internal battery was reading 15.3 and 15.0 volts at +40F. What's the magic fix? Dan

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Still not clear to me - what's the event that is causing the reset? Is it power cycling without first actively setting the time?

65xx

It's certainly not clear to me either. Reset the correct time, wait a few minutes to insure the correct time functions, then turn off the power. 30 minutes later, reapply the power to the D180, the time is incorrect, turn off the D180 and apply power to the D100, the time is correct. Leave the power on the D100 and reapply power to the D180 and both units display the incorrect D180 time. The D180 is the master. Standing by for guidance. Dan.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
When incorrect, does the FlightDEK-D180 boot up with the incorrect time, or does it toggle to the incorrect time sometime after its been powered up?

Also, when you shut master power, do both units give you the 30 second countdown timer?

65xx

Yes, the D180 boots with the incorret time. Yes, both units give the 30 second power down warning. Both units work as advertized except this one D180 "clock abnormality" with the v.5 update. Dan.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
And that incorrect time - is it always the same time, or is it some random time?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also, note that a possible temporary solution is to make the D100 the master. The master's clock is the one pushed out to all other connected DSAB devices.

65xx

Yes, the D180 clock boots to random times. If the D100 becomes the master, will there be any determental effect on the overall system? Dan.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Nope. There are a couple of really subdle things that only happen on the master, like the ability to select a bearing pointer on the HSI screen.

As an aside, we chatted here to see whether or not there might be something in the 5.0 update that would cause this in particular, and aren't coming up with anything.  We might want to observe your unit here, but first, we're going to do what you're doing to your D180 with a unit here and see if we can reproduce what you're seeing (I don't think we will see it).

crowder

I am having the same issue. I only have a singe D180, and an AvMap EKP180 connected. My clock is now reseting at every boot up. Another issue which may or may not be connected: On my time page there is no soft key to reset the trip timer.

Mark

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Mark - The trip timer missing button is a bug that will be fixed in 5.1. Does the unit reset the time only when the AvMap is powered up at boot? Does time reset to the same value every boot, or a random one?

65xx - Do you typically have a GPS connected and powered on at boot? If so, which one?

crowder

I do not have the GPS powered up when the D180 is booted up. That's when I notice that the clock is wrong. When the GPS is powered up with the radios, the D180 will fix its clock. When everything is turned off and restarted again, however, the D180 clock will be wrong again. I do have keep alive power to the unit. It's not a big deal since the GPS will fix the clock, I was just commenting that the D180 doesn't seem to keep the time. I do not know if it is the same, or a random time when the unit is booted up, I'll watch for that the next time I'm there.

Mark

65xx

I have a Garmin GNS 300XL connected and it is not powered up until after engine start. The D180/100 are powered up on internal/aircraft battery prior to engine start. The GPS does not correct the D180 time. Dan.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Mark - I'm thinking this is something with your unit in particular. Not sure why 5.0 caused the condition to start happening, but we haven't been able to reproduce the behavior here using a setup like yours. Give tech support a call at 425-402-0433 if you'd like us to take a look at your unit.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The 300XL may be outputting Aviation Format, which, unfortunately, does not include time. If there is a NMEA output setting, that might include it.

65xx

Have you guys had time to set up a D180 to try and duplicate my clock problem? As background, the clock kept good time prior to the v.5.0 update. Nothing else was changed during or after the update except I downloaded a checklist to the D180 a week after the 5.0 update. Any possiblility the normal procedures checklist is a suspect? Don't remember if the clock problem appeared before or after the checklist download. I haven't checked out the GNS 300XL for the NMEA output yet, may try to do that today. Dan

65xx

Today, the clock problem is solved. Mike, Dynon sparkchaser extraordinaire, suggested I disconnect the Keep Alive(KA) wire since I have the backup battery (BB) it isn't needed. It worked, he doesn't know why but it worked, the clock now keeps correct time, at least it was correct when I left the hangar after 5 hours. He also stated that for new installs with BB, the KA is not to be installed. Dan.