Collision Avoidance system

Spcialeffects

I love flying!
Hi all, my first post on this forum. I am fitting a dynon system in my europa and want a Collision Avoidance system as well. My questions are what are others using and is the dynon compatible with the power flarm core pure (im unable to post a link as its my first post.....sorry) this is for UK and european use. Many thanks

Hotscam

I love flying!
Hi Frank

We have installed Powerflarm Core which is working great.
Disadvantage is you need three antenna's.
With a metal body you need to buy the optional bulkhead mount antenna,s. You also require optional TIS protocol.
Interface to Skyview is easy but quite a few parameters to set.
We have it over a year now and flew 150 hours. Great investment.

trevpond

Hi Frank,

I have a Europa UK based and use a Zaon XRX. quite pleased with it, but of course it is passive. My only complaint with it is that you do get "Ghosts" which are in fact your own aircraft.

If you want some insider info, speak to Danny at Harry Mendelsohns in Edinburgh. PM me and I will let you have the contact information.

regards

Trev ;D ;D

purlee

I love flying!
I installed an Avidyne TAS 600 in my WT9. Not really cheap by any means, but it works and works anywhere in the world!

An active system it interrogates other aircraft transponders, so does not need a ground based radar to set the conflicting transponder off, you could be a thousand miles from a radar and still see another aircraft if there was one there and it had its transponder on.

It uses two aerials, one on top and one on the bottom. It interfaces with Skyview (sorry, I leave the technical bits to my avionics guy) and it really does the job!

BTW is Zaon still in business? I thought they closed down, might make support on their products a little difficult!

Spcialeffects

I love flying!
So I googled avidyne TAS 600 and found the price! When I picked myself up off the floor I carried on surfing and found the TRX-1500 and was quite interested to know if anyone is using this in their set up. I contacted air store, who sell it and they said that it had been tested with the dynon skyview system and worked well.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yep, they're pretty popular in Europe, as is the f.u.n.k.e TM250. Our French dealer Finesse Max has had good experiences with the latter, and we know of customers that have used the TRX-1500 with good success.

If you're here in the US, though, our SV-ADSB-470 is the best way to get the most comprehensive traffic portrait when paired with our transponder.

Spcialeffects

I love flying!
Yes as always you fellas in the US always seem to get a better deal then us across the pond and that SV-ADSB-470 unit gives you the weather too.

SuperCub

I love flying!
I am having a Garrecht TRX-2000 connected to a dual Skyview System and this combination works. The TRX-2000 has an own display additionally while the TRX-1500 uses the Dynon display exclusively and saves panel space. Both are working fine and I know of another plane with dual Skyviews with a TRX-1500 connected to it - the owners are happy with it.

Spcialeffects

I love flying!
Thanks for the replies super cub, but why have another display on the panel if your dynon can show you the info?

SuperCub

I love flying!
When I bought the electronics I was not really aware of the TRX-1500. Today I would go the TRX-1500 route.
On the other hand I sometimes get clearer traffic indications on the TRX-2000 because the display is uncluttered, this is especially true for the Flarm targets.

purlee

I love flying!
So I googled avidyne TAS 600 and found the price! When I picked myself up off the floor I carried on surfing and found the  TRX-1500 and was quite interested to know if anyone is using this in their set up. I contacted air store, who sell it and they said that it had been tested with the dynon skyview system and worked well.

Yes, as I said, by no means cheap and certainly not for everyone. However, I needed to be independent of radar, so Zaon was out and the USA traffic systems are not available to me where I fly, or where I intend to go.

Of what is out there the Avidyne was actually the cheapest system and it works and works very well!