COM1 or COM2?

uvaplane

Hey folks!
Installing a Dynon SkyView HDX with an IFD540 and PMA8000. My initial thought is to have the Dynon as COM1, so that it's easier for cockpit integration and co-pilot usage. Right seat would be handling the radios and audio panel, just to give them something to do. But I know some folks have the Dynon as COM2. What are your thoughts?
v/r/c/

kellym

I love flying!
Hey folks!
Installing a Dynon SkyView HDX with an IFD540 and PMA8000. My initial thought is to have the Dynon as COM1, so that it's easier for cockpit integration and co-pilot usage. Right seat would be handling the radios and audio panel, just to give them something to do. But I know some folks have the Dynon as COM2. What are your thoughts?
v/r/c/
Suggest you find someone that can give you some buttonology time on each unit, then decide which may be easier to use.
Quite frankly, you will wind up using whichever one gives you the most reliable communications, which may not be the same for ground versus air. What antenna you use and where it is positioned on the airframe, as well as which has the best ground plane will influence performance as much as anything. I pretty much use one radio to monitor ATIS and 121.5, and the other as primary com. There may be a power output difference, and you will want to use whichever does better at reaching ground facilities......usually the higher powered unit, but not always.
So, there is no clear cut reason to choose one over the other.

uvaplane

Kelly, great point. I stopped using one radio back in my training days because it always reliably resulted in smoke in the cockpit. 😷