Compass correction

N747PW

The D100 and the D10A have very easy to use setups to calibrate the compass and it works very well. However all installations have some variability that results in not-so-perfect heading indication.

My suggestion is based on the compass correction facility that exists in my Sandel. The source of the heading information to the Sandel, in my installation, is a King remote flux gate, this is calibrated by physically rotating the flux gate and the installation will result in errors similar to those that the Dynon suffers. However, the Sandel allows the user to point the airplane on a correct cardinal heading and enter it in a setup menu. The Sandel then applies this correction to the data being received from the flux gate. The result is a very accuate heading indication.

Beside economics and time, is it not possible to have a similar facility built into the Dynon?

Pat

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
How is this different than our current system? We have you point the plane at the four cardinal points and we calibrate there, then we allow you adjust the result by a fixed number if you want to tweak it. It sounds like exactly what they do, unless I am misreading.

N747PW

Then I have a question...

I think the difference is that you can only remove a constant error in the Dynon. Whereas the Sandel allows you to enter a correction for N, S, E and W and then applies the correction and interpolates between the corrected amounts for the cardinal headings. For example if the error at N is +2 degreea and -2 degrees for E then these corrections are applied and the correction for a heading of 45 degrees would be 0.

Hope this helps.

Pat