Compass Wiring

Martyrv6a

I am in the process of making my own wiring harness/conections for the D10A to EDC-10A compass module. The instruction say to use shielded cable, but there is no indication of what needs to be done with the shield. I assume this is to be grounded at one end?

Also, why is there a need to ground pin 16 on the D10A in addition to pin 3?

Marty

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You are correct- ground the shield at one end.

You do not need to hook pin 16 to ground. It is A ground, if for some reason you needed to use it, but you don't have to hook it up if you don't have a reason to. Only the primary ground needs to be connected for the unit to operate.

Martyrv6a

The installation instructions say on page 3-3 "The metal shield around the EDC communication cable is connected to the short black/white wire emanating from the DB25. Connect this wire to ground close to the EFIS-D10A, ideally the panel." Since I'm making my own harness, what pin does the mentioned "black/white wire" emanate from, and if I don't use a panel ground, but a single point ground on the firewall, will this be close enough (about 2.5' of wire)?

Also, at the EDC module, the compass shield and blue wire are to connect to the ground on pin 1 of the 9 pin d-sub, but what about the shield on the interconnecting cable from the D10A to the EDC module at the module end (the above question deals with the end at the D10A EFIS)? Is that also to be grounded to pin 1 at the EDC, thus ground the shield at both ends?
Thanks for your clarification
Marty

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That black/white wire is the shield that surrounds the 4 wire cable that goes out to the EDC. So it isn't "pinned out", per se. So basically, connect the shield that surrounds the EDC wires to ground. It doesn't particularly matter where it gets connected. Strictly speaking, we wouldn't expect a non-grounded shield to make a huge difference in this particular case either.

s45bird

I power up for the fist time my new Dynon Flight DEK-180 and I still have the message "remote compass not detected" even when properly connected. I did use a volt meter to verify all connections and every thing seems ok. The only thing missing is the shield ground. Could it be only that?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Probably not. The EDC-D10A does not strictly need a shield to work.

Have you checked the pin out from end to end, making sure each or the specified 4 pins on the 25 pin connector are continuous with the correct 4 pins on the 9 pin connector?

Also, make sure you have an EDC-D10A, not the older EDC-D10 (this hasn't happened in a while).

Beyond that, if you can't get heading to display, we may need to have your EDC-D10A and/or FlightDEK-D180 back for a look.

grease371

I also am getting ready to add my EDC and need to make up the harness. Please tell me the proper guage of 4 conductor shielded wire to use from the EDC to the D10A.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can probably use the smallest wire you have. Anything 24 gauge or larger is fine.