compatible comm radio

skimaxer

I love flying!
Any recommendations for a SV compatible comm radio that has a built-in intercom. I understand the planned Dynon comm radio will not have an intercom.

starkw1

I love flying!
A number of radios say they will load frequencies from a GPS database via RS232 as using the SL40 protocol.  Xcom, Trig, MGL, all indicate they will load frequencies;  so these should work when Dynon updates their software, probably when they release their radio.  The Xcom intercom has gotten good reviews on other sites;  the Trig Ty91 and MGL V6 also have intercoms, but they are pretty new so not many user reviews.
Warren

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Be aware that the very basic intercoms in a product like an SL-30 or SL-40 lack auxiliary inputs which are needed if you want to use SkyView's audio alerting.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We will not be outputting the GPS database via the SL-30/40 protocol, we will only be tuning radios directly.

starkw1

I love flying!
We will not be outputting the GPS database via the SL-30/40 protocol, we will only be tuning radios directly.

So does this mean that radios such as the Xcom, Trig or MGL can or cannot be tuned to frequencies from Skyview?  Could you explain a little how this would work?

Warren

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You will select a frequency on SkyView and press TUNE and this will send that one specific frequency to the standby frequency on the external radio.

We will not be constantly sending a list of nearby frequencies to the radio where you can then dig into a menu on the radio and select them. This is a much more intensive thing for us to do and is not supported by very many radios.

knut

Has anyone installed a Trig TY91 / Skyview combination? The system is working well? I would like to use a Dynon radio but need a channel spacing of 8.33 in Germany. Maybe a TY91 is an alternative.

Knut

N805PY

I just installed a Garmin GTR200 (using cables from Approach Fast Stack) and it works great. About a year from flying so no checking with the engine running, but trying it out in the hangar was impressive.

The GTR200 only has 2 Aux Audio inputs, I needed 3 and Garmin suggested the AP60 audio mixer. I added it and it worked fine.

Dynon Support wrote on Dec 26th, 2012 at 4:13pm:
Question for Dynon Tech Support: when you say there will be no GPS database output via the SL30/40 protocol, is that why I can remotely tune the GTR200 from the Dynon, but the frequencies are not ID'd underneath like the GTR200 is capable of?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yes, but, that statement was from before the GTR existed. Fundamentally, our protocols haven't been changed to support the GTR's features, and we haven't made any promises on that front (although it's on the list to look in to).

flaude

In europe where the Dynon radio can be used (8,33 spacing mandatory) I have a Garmin GTR225A and it work very well. I can tune directly from the Dynon inside the Garmin. Nice feature!

N805PY

Yes, but, that statement was from before the GTR existed. Fundamentally, our protocols haven't been changed to support the GTR's features, and we haven't made any promises on that front (although it's on the list to look in to).

Ok, thanks. I like the Dynon one touch selector buttons and frequency transfer, but already had the cutout done when it was announced.