Configure VP-X trim in SkyView

N750NM

I can't seem to configure the VP-X trim widget in SkyView. The VP-X seems to talk to the SkyView just fine, lot's of "good sentences" and no errors. When I move the trim I can see the current draw in the VP-X column on the Engine page. I configured the trim in the VP-X Configurator, making sure not to use 0 in any endpoint, and updated the VP-X. In the VP-X configuration page I selected VP-X for trim and flaps. Then, in Hardware Calibration -> EMS I get fuel levels and flow, but no trim. Am I missing something?
Thanks for any advice!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There's one more step that isn't clear in our manual. You still need to do the SkyView-based calibration under SETUP MENU > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > EMS CALIBRATION > etc.

N750NM

Thanks! I found, though, that under SETUP MENU > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > EMS CALIBRATION I only see fuel levels and flow, if, under VP-X Setup, I set trim to VP-X. Should I leave it at SkyView? That way I also get the option to calibrate trim, but it doesn't see any sensor input.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Are they enabled via the VP-X configurator? (there's a checkbox to actually enable the channel that needs to be on). Also, is there a widget for the trim on any of the pages? That shouldn't be necessary, but it's something to check.

N750NM

Yes, I have Pitch trim and Flaps enabled (Aileron Trim disabled, but I also once tried enabling it, too) in the VP-X Configurator. On the Engine page in the SkyView there is a widget for Trim, but only when the VP-X info is also on (in the 100% screen. In the 50 % screen, say when i also turn on Map or PFD, the widget is always there). It has that red cross through it, and the letters CFG?.

N750NM

Yes, Pitch trim is enabled. I noticed that on the 100% Engine screen I had disabled the trim widget, now it's back, still saying that it needs to be configured. The VP-X runs the trim just fine and on the VP-X Configurator I get a position indication. I can also move it with the SkyView soft buttons in Engine -> VP-X -> Pitch Trim -> Up or Down, and I see the current draw when it moves. Just somehow can't get the widget configured. When in VP-X setup I select to use the VP-X for trim, shouldn't I still get a trim configuration page under Hardware Calibration -> EMS Setup?
B.t.w. I have the VP-X Sport.
Thanks!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You should still get the hardware calibration. Are any of the SkyView pins still set to have trim on them in pin mapping (they shouldn't). If you haven't tried it already, does toggling the menu option that toggles between VP-X and SkyView sourced trim change anything?

N750NM

Tried that, too. I changed Pin 4 (flaps) and 22 (Elev) from "Position" to "Unused". Also toggled many times between SkyView and VP-X in the VP-X setup screen. Neither helped.

N750NM

Just wondering: I noticed there are a few people on this forum that use the VP-X: have any of you succeeded in displaying the VP-X trim on the SkyView? If so, do you use the VP-X Pro or Sport. The Vertical Power people seem to think that my issue is a SkyView issue, but I am not convinced. Maybe it's jus me doing it wrong...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We just got a Sport here, and do have a Pro. Trim on the Pro definitely works, and we're checking on the Sport....

FlyRV8

I also have the VP-X sport and the trim widget doesn't work (red cross).
I did the calibration (it succeeded), selected the VP-X and not the Skyview EMS, etc.. but it doesn't work for the moment.
Maybe this will help localizing the problem.

Have a good day.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So ours looks to be working here. One more thing - have you loaded the latest sensor definitions file from our download page? That also needs to be updated for the system to work properly. Try loading the latest version and see if that helps.

FlyRV8 - your problem is probably that you have one or more of your endpoint or neutral points set to 0 in the VP-X configuration program. We don't actually use these values - we use our own calibration data, but when any are set to 0 our software thinks that it's not there. You can just set them all to 1.

N750NM

:) Thank you guys, that was it! I thought I had updated the sensor definition file, but apparently did not. My bad.
Works great now!