Connection to a Becker Transponder

Garth

Has anyone connected the altitude output from a Dynon EFIS (D-180) to a Becker transponder? I'm trying to figure out if I can connect directly or if I need to purchase a grey code converter. Thx.

Garth

Mel

According to their web page, the Becker mode A/C transponders use only gray code. Their mode S models have gray code and serial inputs. Therefore, if you have the mode A/C model, you will need the converter.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Additionally, from what we've seen, the Beckers tend to have RS-422 inputs, which aren't compatible with our RS-232 serial outputs.

It looks like you'll need the encoder converter.

WestCoastOz

I have a Becker Mode S Transponder (BXP 6401) connected to my Dynon D100 EFIS and it works just fine. It was factory installed but I am certain there is no grey code converter fitted.
Next time I am at the hangar, I will check to see what the settings are.

jaba-who

Apart from whether or not it will actually work there is another consideration that may or may not apply.

Your local jurisdiction may require the transponder to be calibrated by a proper technician.
The Dynon is not certified. Your local tech may not be happy to calibrate and certify a non-STC'd bit of machinery.

I used a Ameriking encoder and it was reasonable cheap and avoided any hassles.

Jaba-who