Coolant Pressure Problem?

John_NZ

I am installing a D-100 and a D-120 in a Subaru powered GP-4,one or two small problems have surfaced.
The first is Coolant pressure, I have fitted a 100411.000 sensor to GP2 input, the resistor is fitted as specified and all wires check out OK. The sensor should give a 0 to 30 PSI readout but setup display will only go to 2.70 PSI?
Any ideas please?
John
New Zealand

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not completely sure that you're talking about the following, but, note that when you're setting your red/yellow/green zones in the sensor setup, values can not "push each other". For example, if you have your high yellow/red boudary set to 2.7 psi, you wouldn't be able to push the high green/yellow setting any higher than number until you move the yellow/red higher, since the yellow/green needs be lower than the yellow/red.

John_NZ

It appears to us that the GP2 input set up page is showing Bar not PSI, hence the max. reading of 2.7 for the 0.30 PSI sensor?
I have not flown it yet so don't know what it will show on the display.

In Global I set all pressure readings to PSI.

Any coment would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This still sounds like a setup issue. Under the Coolant Pressure sensor setup, start at the top item, which is "top red", and set it to 30 PSI. Then set the next item below, which is "hi red/yel", to something less than that. On this screen, each value needs to be equal to or higher to the item below it. And no value will increment any higher than the value that is set above it until the value above is adjusted first.

John_NZ

Done all that!
I got all numbers reading 2.75 but can't get them any higher.
As I said, I am pretty sure the numbers are bar not PSI for some reason?
However we set the colour bars were we thought they should be and yesterday I ground ran the engine and found the gauge read OK showing 14PSI so no real problem.
Thanks
John

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
After fiddling with an EMS here for a while, I was able to replicate the behavior. It looks like the units on the coolant pressure erroneously responds to the "engine temp" units setting rather than the pressure units setting. So if engine temp is set to Celcius, the coolant pressure units will be in bar. When engine temp is set to F, the coolant temp will be in PSI.

You win the award for the strangest bug of the month. Thanks for helping us catch it!

We're currently working to confirm what you've observed - that despite the incorrect display while settting it, it follows the pressure units setting in operation.

In the meantime, to actually set your value in PSI, you can temporarily change the "engine temp" units setting to F.