Course only shows North and losing link to AVMAP

aubreypric

I have a D-100 linked to AVMAP IV. After the last software update to the D100, the magenta course only show 0/360. The needle moves left and right, but points north. I am also losing the link between the D100 and the AvMAP. Comes and goes.

Anyone have an idea or the same problem

Aubrey
N600AP
RV7A

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Course only shows North and losing link to AVM

What version firmware is on your AvMap? Have a look at http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/GPS_Serial_Compatibility_and_Configuration_Settings

to see if your firmware and AvMap settings are correct.

aubreypric

The release before 5.0 11/13/08. I will follow your link today and see if everything is setup correctly

Aubrey

MP-UNIK

I also have the same problem of CRSE always showing 360 with my new installation of D100 coupled to GASMAP 296.

I will check same.

C-GMPU

Brantel

On the 296 check that your serial port setup shows either NMEA IN/OUT or NEMA IN/NMEA - VHF OUT

Then go into the ADVANCED NMEA setup by pressing enter while in the serial port setup. In there make sure the speed is set to NORMAL.

MP-UNIK

I guess I found the answer to my observation. Re-reading the D100 installation manual and the GPSMAP 296 ops manual, I found that the EFIS needs one of $GPBPD or $GPAPB in order to show current CRSE on the OBS. Perusing the various X96 series ops manuals revealed that only the Garmin 695/696 outputs one of these strings.

It seems that I will have to live with the EFIS/HSI always showing the GPS CRSE 360 in magenta.

Am I right to presume that the early X96 Garmin can't be made to output one of these strings with a software mod only?

C-GMPU

MP-UNIK

Thanks, BRANTEL

I will also check the setting is Advanced - Normal. Other than that the setting is correct.

Brantel

The 296 is proven to work just fine with the HSI as long as you have all the settings and wiring correct.

In the "Fast" mode, the Garmin outputs the following sentences:
GPRMC
GPRMB
GPRMH
as well as a series of proprietary garmin sentences then repeats.

In the 'Normal" mode, the Garmin outputs the following sentences:
GPRMC
GPRMB
GPGGA
GPGLL
GPBOD
GPBWC
GPVTG
GPXTE
GPRMH
GPAPB
then the proprietary garmin sentences and repeats.

The Dynon AP needs the following sentences to work with a GPS:
GPRMB
GPRMC
GPGGA
GPBOD or GPAPB

I guess I found the answer to my observation. Re-reading the D100 installation manual and the GPSMAP 296 ops manual, I found that the EFIS needs one of $GPBPD or $GPAPB in order to show current CRSE on the OBS. Perusing the various X96 series ops manuals revealed that only the Garmin 695/696 outputs one of these strings.

It seems that I will have to live with the EFIS/HSI always showing the GPS CRSE  360 in magenta.

Am I right to presume that the early X96 Garmin can't be made to output one of these strings with a software mod only?

C-GMPU

MP-UNIK

The Advanced setting: Normal fixed the problem. The EFIS works fine with the Garmin X96 series without the strings mentionned earlier.

MP-UNIK

Thanks Brantel, I hadn't read your reply before posting my last.