Cross wind speed reading to high

Charlrv9

Can some tell me why my cross wind speed is read to high is telling me wind speed is 75 knots

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Your magnetic heading is off.

To calculate winds, you need accurate True airspeed, magnetic heading, GPS ground speed, and GPS track.

GPS doesn't need any calibration. True airspeed is Airspeed + Altitude + OAT. So if any of those are off you will have an issue, but not 75 knots.

So, 99% of the time you have an issue with winds it's because your magnetic heading is off. It only takes a few degrees of error to make a big difference.

Battson

Bearhawk
So, 99% of the time you have an issue with winds it's because your magnetic heading is off. It only takes a few degrees of error to make a big difference.

Can undertaking long flights north-south cause this error to occur in a measurable way, as the manetic field changes with latitude (I'm talking within fuel range - say 700 miles or something in that order or magnitude):
If I take-off and fly north cross-country 7 hours from my calibrated location, will there be a noticible error in calculated wind speed and direction at my destination?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
No - it you have innacuracy in your heading indication, it will be there all of the time.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
And I think to answer your question more directly: Flying to a new place does not affect the compass calibration. Magnetic north is magnetic north no matter where you are. SkyView has a equation inside that allows it to correct GPS for your position so it can calculate magnetic ground track and compare this with magnetic heading.

Battson

Bearhawk
The calibration considers the field angle (declination), and that changes with your location. That was the reason for my question.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yep, understand where the question would come from, but those numbers are only used during calibration, not after the compass is calibrated.