CRS mode with GNS480

rlallen1

I love flying!
Hello,

I am currently in florida for some intense IFR training and ran into something today I hadn't come across before. My instructor gave me a fix (SWAGS) to hold on. I had my GNS 480 "tuned" to the fix and the CDI in GPS mode. Once arriving at the fix I was unable to turn the CRS via the Skyview like I or we expected it should. Turning the CRS knob did not move the HSI needle. It does in fact work perfectly while on VOR. Tuning to a VOR and selecting VOR in the CDI on the 480, I can then use the CRS on the Skyview to tune a radial..etc. Was unable in GPS mode while holding on a fix.. Is this normal or is there something else I need to do.

thanks

K

KRviator

Was the GNS480 in LEG or OBS mode? If in LEG, it'll still show the CDI as you'd expect, but I can't imagine you're able to select any specific radial inbound to the selected way point.

EDIT: looks like this could possibly be an issue with the -480.... check out this thread .

rlallen1

I love flying!
Not sure whether I was in LEG or OBS mode. Well have to verify that tomorrow. Thanks. Other thread doesn't look promising though.

skysailor

The way that is normally done in the the 480 is that once you are on the course to the point, you build the hold there. Hit Direct then Hold and build it. The plane will enter and track the hold. arriving at the hold point the first time is when the HSI course will snap to the expected hold course.

bobl_51

I love flying!
I can confirm that OBS mode does not work with the GNS480 unless a traditional analog resolver is connected. I tried it both ways. I remember there being some other issue too trying to use it, like the Dynon HSI or CRS setting doesn't update to match the OBS setting I think, so I took it out again. It only works with the 480 internal NAV page or a traditional CDI.

As far as holds go, the 480 is great. Hit Direct->, highlight the waypoint in your flightplan where you want to hold, then hit Hold. Fill in the course and turn direction, hit Enter. If you have autopilot, the 480 automatically computes the hold entry type, and steers the entire hold, correcting for wind. Hit SUSP when you want to continue on with the rest of the flight plan. Much better than having to hand fly the OBS setting, tracking time, managing drift and correcting for wind yourself, and figuring out what kind of hold entry is required.

The 480 is an amazing box, still equal to most of the latest IFR navigators. I highly recommend Keith's book at avionicswest.com to learn how to use it effectively.

rlallen1

I love flying!
Thanks. Figured out how to set up the holds in the 480. Pretty slick and seems like cheating. Great box.

krw5927

I love flying!
Ryan - I agree, the 480 is totally cheating. Which is completely fair when it's you against the weather ;D